Tuesday, July 14, 2026

Before we celebrate Hunter Dietz, this year's Yankee top pick, let us ponder the whereabouts of Dax Kilby

Last weekend, the Yankees selected Hunter Dietz - a giant lefty stalk of Arkansas asparagus - in the MLB draft, and immediately booted up the YES crapola machine. "We're ecstatic!" gushed Damon Openheimer the Yankees' Vice President of the atom bomb  lost youth domestic amateur scouting, over Dietz, the 35th pick of the draft. According to various Mel Kipers and Booger MacFarlands, Dietz ranked 17th in the overall MLB draft class. Thus, a steal! Right? 

Listen: I
 aint lookin' for no trouble, okay? The Yankees chose - and quickly signed - a 21-year-old, legit sandwich-round stallion, big as a bus - (6'6", 235) - and who already has had elbow surgery (stress fracture, 2024). It's not like he suffered an aortic dissection. But the Yankees say he might not throw a pitch this summer, so tender are the tendons that separate an Andy Pettitte from an Andrew Brackman. Deitz could be a factor late next year, assuming there is a 2027 season. 

Immediately, Deitz becomes one of the Yankees top-ranked prospects - maybe even No 1. That would mean supplanting last year's purveyor of Oppenheimian ecstasy, the 6'2" (Jeter-sized) SS, Dax Kilby. 

Last year, Kilby - like Dietz, a sandwich-rounder- became the breakout sensation of the Yankee draft.  

At Single A Tampa, "Killer" Kilby - age 18, and with an unforgettable name - hit .353 over 19 games and 81 at-bats. (No HR, though.) In most prospect rating pools, he vaulted into the top three. In a few, he even topped George Lombard Jr., the reigning Yankee hope.

Unfortunately, 2026 has not been kind.

Kilby tweaked a hammy in spring training and missed three months. Then, on May 28, in a Florida rookie league, Kilby came to bat twice, went 0-2, and re-tweaked himself. He remains at large. Look for him on the milk cartons. 

We hope to see Kilby soon - at least a photograph, smiling like happy toddler Mitch McConnell, with yesterday's sports section. Proof of life! Check! Because following Yankee prospects - especially this time of year - is a zero sum game. For every Ben Rice and Cam Schlittler, a dozen lost souls disappear. Who knows the future of Spencer Jones? Not even Cashman, I suspect. But don't bet the Polymarket  on Jones playing CF for the Yankees again. 

In this millennium, the Yankees long ago ruined what used to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of rooting for this team: following kids in the minors. (One of them actually grew up to be Aaron Judge; can you believe it?) Meanwhile, our arch-rivals - Boston, Tampa, Toronto, Baltimore, the Mets - have chosen to build with youth.  

Obviously, it doesn't always work. But inevitably, the Yankees pay a price for treating the next generation like a 5-cent bottle deposit. Three weeks ago, in fearful Fenway, the Redsocks ate our Lunchables. Ever since, Cooperstown Cashman has been trolling for trade fodder. Let's just hope it doesn't mean the forever disappearance of Dax the Max. Yeesh. Oppenheimer barely got to know him. 

22 comments:

  1. For Dax is that rarest honor - only ONE HIT on the Internet Anagram Server - "Lax By Kid"

    For Hunter, it's much richer pickings:
    United Hertz
    Untied Hertz
    Tuned Zither
    Trued Zenith
    Ed Zenith Rut
    Ed Zither Nut
    Ed Zither Tun
    Ed Hunter Zit
    Ed Hertz Unit
    Heed Zit Turn
    Heed Zit Runt
    Need Hurt Zit
    Need Thru Zit
    Tender Uh Zit
    Rented Uh Zit
    Reed Hunt Zit
    Deer Hunt Zit
    Hired Zen Tut
    Hider Zen Tut
    Hunted Re Zit
    Herd Tune Zit
    Hued Tern Zit
    Hued Rent Zit
    Die Hertz Nut
    Die Hertz Tun
    Die Zen Truth
    Tried Zen Hut
    Tired Zen Hut
    Tied Hertz Nu
    Tied Zen Hurt
    Tied Zen Thru
    Diet Hertz Nu
    Diet Zen Hurt
    Diet Zen Thru
    Tide Hertz Nu
    Tide Zen Hurt
    Tide Zen Thru
    Edit Hertz Nu
    Edit Zen Hurt
    Edit Zen Thru
    Trend Hue Zit
    Turned He Zit
    Turned Eh Zit
    Under The Zit
    Nuder The Zit
    Tuned Her Zit
    Tuned Hertz I
    Nude Hertz It
    Nude Hertz Ti
    Dune Hertz It
    Dune Hertz Ti
    Rutted Zen Hi
    Trued Hen Zit
    Trued Zen Hit
    Rude Then Zit
    Rued Then Zit
    Duet Hertz In
    Due Hertz Tin
    Due Hertz Nit
    Zed Thine Rut
    Zed Their Nut
    Zed Their Tun
    Zed Hitter Nu
    Zed Tither Nu
    Zed Tithe Run
    Zed Tithe Urn
    Zed Hunter It
    Zed Hunter Ti
    Zed Inert Hut
    Zed Niter Hut
    Zed Inter Hut
    Zed Nitre Hut
    Zed Tine Hurt
    Zed Tine Thru
    Zed Nite Hurt
    Zed Nite Thru
    Zed Rite Hunt
    Zed Tier Hunt
    Zed Tire Hunt
    Zed Uteri Nth
    Zed Tuner Hit
    Zed True Thin
    Zed True Hint
    Hid Zen Utter
    Third Zee Nut
    Third Zee Tun
    Thud Rite Zen
    Thud Tier Zen
    Thud Tire Zen
    Duh Enter Zit
    Duh Trite Zen
    Id Hertz Tune
    Din Zee Truth
    Dint Zee Hurt
    Dint Zee Thru
    Dirt Zee Hunt
    Ditz Here Nut
    Ditz Here Tun
    Ditz Three Nu
    Ditz There Nu
    Ditz Ether Nu
    Ditz Thee Run
    Ditz Thee Urn
    Ditz Nee Hurt
    Ditz Nee Thru
    Ditz Enter Uh
    Ditz Ere Hunt
    Ditz He Tuner
    Ditz Eh Tuner
    Ditz Hen True
    Ditz Then Rue
    Ditz Her Tune
    Ditz The Rune
    Ditz Hue Tern
    Ditz Hue Rent
    Dun Three Zit
    Dun There Zit
    Dun Ether Zit
    Dun Hertz Tie
    Turd Zee Thin
    Turd Zee Hint
    Ed He Zit Turn
    Ed He Zit Runt
    Ed Eh Zit Turn
    Ed Eh Zit Runt
    Ed Hen Zit Rut
    Ed Her Zit Nut
    Ed Her Zit Tun
    Ed Hertz I Nut
    Ed Hertz I Tun
    Ed Hertz It Nu
    Ed Hertz Ti Nu
    Ed The Zit Run
    Ed The Zit Urn
    Ed En Hurt Zit
    Ed En Thru Zit
    Ed Tern Uh Zit
    Ed Rent Uh Zit
    Ed Zen Hit Rut
    Ed Zen Truth I
    Ed Zen Hurt It
    Ed Zen Hurt Ti
    Ed Zen Thru It
    Ed Zen Thru Ti
    Ed Re Hunt Zit
    Ed Rue Nth Zit
    Herd Zen I Tut
    End He Zit Rut
    End Eh Zit Rut
    End Re Hut Zit
    Den He Zit Rut
    Den Eh Zit Rut
    Den Re Hut Zit
    Tend Re Uh Zit
    Dent Re Uh Zit
    Red He Zit Nut
    Red He Zit Tun
    Red Eh Zit Nut
    Red Eh Zit Tun
    Red The Zit Nu
    Red En Hut Zit
    Red Ten Uh Zit
    Red Net Uh Zit
    Red Zen Hi Tut
    Red Zen Hut It
    Red Zen Hut Ti
    Red Zen Uh Tit
    Due Re Nth Zit
    Zed He Tin Rut
    Zed He Nit Rut
    Zed He It Turn
    Zed He It Runt
    Zed He Ti Turn
    Zed He Ti Runt
    Zed He Tit Run
    Zed He Tit Urn
    Zed Eh Tin Rut
    Zed Eh Nit Rut
    Zed Eh It Turn
    Zed Eh It Runt
    Zed Eh Ti Turn
    Zed Eh Ti Runt
    Zed Eh Tit Run
    Zed Eh Tit Urn
    Zed Hen It Rut
    Zed Hen Ti Rut
    Zed Then I Rut
    Zed Her In Tut
    Zed Her It Nut
    Zed Her It Tun
    Zed Her Ti Nut
    Zed Her Ti Tun
    Zed Her Tit Nu
    Zed The I Turn
    Zed The I Runt
    Zed The In Rut
    Zed The It Run
    Zed The It Urn
    Zed The Ti Run
    Zed The Ti Urn
    Zed En Hit Rut
    Zed En Truth I
    Zed En Hurt It
    Zed En Hurt Ti
    Zed En Thru It
    Zed En Thru Ti
    Zed Tern Hut I
    Zed Tern Uh It
    Zed Tern Uh Ti
    Zed Rent Hut I
    Zed Rent Uh It
    Zed Rent Uh Ti
    Zed Ten Hi Rut
    Zed Ten Hurt I
    Zed Ten Thru I
    Zed Net Hi Rut
    Zed Net Hurt I
    Zed Net Thru I
    Zed Re Hit Nut
    Zed Re Hit Tun
    Zed Re Hunt It
    Zed Re Hunt Ti
    Zed Re Hut Tin
    Zed Re Hut Nit
    Zed Re Uh Tint
    Zed True Nth I
    Zed Rue Nth It
    Zed Rue Nth Ti
    Hid Zen Re Tut
    Thud En Re Zit
    Thud Zen Re It
    Thud Zen Re Ti
    Duh Ten Re Zit
    Duh Net Re Zit
    Duh Zen Re Tit
    Id Zee Nth Rut
    Id Her Zen Tut
    Id The Zen Rut
    Rid He Zen Tut
    Rid Eh Zen Tut
    Ditz He En Rut
    Ditz He Re Nut
    Ditz He Re Tun
    Ditz Eh En Rut
    Ditz Eh Re Nut
    Ditz Eh Re Tun
    Ditz The Re Nu
    Ditz En Re Hut
    Ditz Ten Re Uh
    Ditz Net Re Uh
    Dun The Re Zit
    Turd Zee Nth I
    Turd He En Zit
    Turd He Zen It
    Turd He Zen Ti
    Turd Eh En Zit
    Turd Eh Zen It
    Turd Eh Zen Ti
    Turd The Zen I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Bit
      Upon a careful audit, analysis and review, I determined that you left out four Hunter entries:

      United Hertz
      Untied Hertz
      Tuned Zither
      Trued Zenith
      Ed Zenith Rut
      Ed Zither Nut
      Ed Zither Tun
      Ed Hunter Zit
      Ed Hertz Unit
      Heed Zit Turn
      Heed Zit Runt
      Need Hurt Zit
      Need Thru Zit
      Tender Uh Zit
      Rented Uh Zit
      Reed Hunt Zit
      Deer Hunt Zit
      Hired Zen Tut
      Hider Zen Tut
      Hunted Re Zit
      Herd Tune Zit
      Hued Tern Zit
      Hued Rent Zit
      Die Hertz Nut
      Die Hertz Tun
      Die Zen Truth
      Tried Zen Hut
      Tired Zen Hut
      Tied Hertz Nu
      Tied Zen Hurt
      Tied Zen Thru
      Diet Hertz Nu
      Diet Zen Hurt
      Diet Zen Thru
      Tide Hertz Nu
      Tide Zen Hurt
      Tide Zen Thru
      Edit Hertz Nu
      Edit Zen Hurt
      Edit Zen Thru
      Trend Hue Zit
      Turned He Zit
      Turned Eh Zit
      Under The Zit
      Nuder The Zit
      Tuned Her Zit
      Tuned Hertz I
      Nude Hertz It
      Nude Hertz Ti
      Dune Hertz It
      Dune Hertz Ti
      Rutted Zen Hi
      Trued Hen Zit
      Trued Zen Hit
      Rude Then Zit
      Rued Then Zit
      Duet Hertz In
      Due Hertz Tin
      Due Hertz Nit
      Zed Thine Rut
      Zed Their Nut
      Zed Their Tun
      Zed Hitter Nu
      Zed Tither Nu
      Zed Tithe Run
      Zed Tithe Urn
      Zed Hunter It
      Zed Hunter Ti
      Zed Inert Hut
      Zed Niter Hut
      Zed Inter Hut
      Zed Nitre Hut
      Zed Tine Hurt
      Zed Tine Thru
      Zed Nite Hurt
      Zed Nite Thru
      Zed Rite Hunt
      Zed Tier Hunt
      Zed Tire Hunt
      Zed Uteri Nth
      Zed Tuner Hit
      Zed True Thin
      Zed True Hint
      Hid Zen Utter
      Third Zee Nut
      Third Zee Tun
      Thud Rite Zen
      Thud Tier Zen
      Thud Tire Zen
      Duh Enter Zit
      Duh Trite Zen
      Id Hertz Tune
      Din Zee Truth
      Dint Zee Hurt
      Dint Zee Thru
      Dirt Zee Hunt
      Ditz Here Nut
      Ditz Here Tun
      Ditz Three Nu
      Ditz There Nu
      Ditz Ether Nu
      Ditz Thee Run
      Ditz Thee Urn
      Ditz Nee Hurt
      Ditz Nee Thru
      Ditz Enter Uh
      Ditz Ere Hunt
      Ditz He Tuner
      Ditz Eh Tuner
      Ditz Hen True
      Ditz Then Rue
      Ditz Her Tune
      Ditz The Rune
      Ditz Hue Tern
      Ditz Hue Rent
      Dun Three Zit
      Dun There Zit
      Dun Ether Zit
      Dun Hertz Tie
      Turd Zee Thin
      Turd Zee Hint
      Ed He Zit Turn
      Ed He Zit Runt
      Ed Eh Zit Turn
      Ed Eh Zit Runt
      Ed Hen Zit Rut
      Ed Her Zit Nut
      Ed Her Zit Tun
      Ed Hertz I Nut
      Ed Hertz I Tun
      Ed Hertz It Nu
      Ed Hertz Ti Nu
      Ed The Zit Run
      Ed The Zit Urn
      Ed En Hurt Zit
      Ed En Thru Zit
      Ed Tern Uh Zit
      Ed Rent Uh Zit
      Ed Zen Hit Rut
      Ed Zen Truth I
      Ed Zen Hurt It
      Ed Zen Hurt Ti
      Ed Zen Thru It
      Ed Zen Thru Ti
      Ed Re Hunt Zit
      Ed Rue Nth Zit
      Herd Zen I Tut
      End He Zit Rut
      End Eh Zit Rut
      End Re Hut Zit
      Den He Zit Rut
      Den Eh Zit Rut
      Den Re Hut Zit
      Tend Re Uh Zit
      Dent Re Uh Zit
      Red He Zit Nut
      Red He Zit Tun
      Red Eh Zit Nut
      Red Eh Zit Tun
      Red The Zit Nu
      Red En Hut Zit
      Red Ten Uh Zit
      Red Net Uh Zit
      Red Zen Hi Tut
      Red Zen Hut It
      Red Zen Hut Ti
      Red Zen Uh Tit
      Due Re Nth Zit
      Zed He Tin Rut
      Zed He Nit Rut
      Zed He It Turn
      Zed He It Runt
      Zed He Ti Turn
      Zed He Ti Runt
      Zed He Tit Run
      Zed He Tit Urn
      Zed Eh Tin Rut
      Zed Eh Nit Rut
      Zed Eh It Turn
      Zed Eh It Runt
      Zed Eh Ti Turn
      Zed Eh Ti Runt
      Zed Eh Tit Run
      Zed Eh Tit Urn
      Zed Hen It Rut
      Zed Hen Ti Rut
      Zed Then I Rut
      Zed Her In Tut
      Zed Her It Nut
      Zed Her It Tun
      Zed Her Ti Nut
      Zed Her Ti Tun
      Zed Her Tit Nu
      Zed The I Turn
      Zed The I Runt
      Zed The In Rut
      Zed The It Run
      Zed The It Urn
      Zed The Ti Run
      Zed The Ti Urn
      Zed En Hit Rut
      Zed En Truth I
      Zed En Hurt It
      Zed En Hurt Ti
      Zed En Thru It
      Zed En Thru Ti
      Zed Tern Hut I
      Zed Tern Uh It
      Zed Tern Uh Ti
      Zed Rent Hut I
      Zed Rent Uh It
      Zed Rent Uh Ti
      Zed Ten Hi Rut
      Zed Ten Hurt I
      Zed Ten Thru I
      Zed Net Hi Rut
      Zed Net Hurt I
      Zed Net Thru I
      Zed Re Hit Nut
      Zed Re Hit Tun
      Zed Re Hunt It
      Zed Re Hunt Ti
      Zed Re Hut Tin
      Zed Re Hut Nit
      Zed Re Uh Tint
      Zed True Nth I
      Zed Rue Nth It
      Zed Rue Nth Ti
      Hid Zen Re Tut
      Thud En Re Zit
      Thud Zen Re It
      Thud Zen Re Ti
      Duh Ten Re Zit
      Duh Net Re Zit
      Duh Zen Re Tit
      Id Zee Nth Rut
      Id Her Zen Tut
      Id The Zen Rut
      Rid He Zen Tut
      Rid Eh Zen Tut
      Ditz He En Rut
      Ditz He Re Nut
      Ditz He Re Tun
      Ditz Eh En Rut
      Ditz Eh Re Nut
      Ditz Eh Re Tun
      Ditz The Re Nu
      Ditz En Re Hut
      Ditz Ten Re Uh
      Ditz Net Re Uh
      Dun The Re Zit
      Turd Zee Nth I
      Turd He En Zit
      Turd He Zen It
      Turd He Zen Ti
      Turd Eh En Zit
      Turd Eh Zen It
      Turd Eh Zen Ti
      Turd The Zen I
      Zed Re Hit Nut
      Zed Re Hit Tun
      Zed Re Hunt It
      Zed Re Hunt Ti

      Delete
    2. Tuned her zit should be the name of a punk band.

      Delete
    3. I was thinking a hillbilly ambient blues band. actually

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. I'm looking forward to "Turd the Zen II - A Journey:
      From Toilet Bowl to Singing Bowl"

      Delete
  2. In the event of a work stoppage next season the Minor Leagues will be fully operational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depressing. When I saw that name, I admit I entertained fantasies of Dax Kilby becoming a Yankees superstar. Doing the nightlife rounds, perhaps, with the Giants' Jaxson Dart.

    "Hey, it's Dax and Jax, the kings of New York!"

    Yeah...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply amazes me how unable the Yanks—and really, many major-league teams now—are to keep even shiny, brand-new draft picks happy and functioning...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's face it: back in the day, did we EVER hear of a great new signing losing most of a season due to a hammy? I mean, he's 20 years old! How is this possible?...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obviously, dear Dax, like so many other Yankees, young and old, is spending way, way too much time in the weight room. And yet, somehow, emerging with absolutely no power. In a real organization, run by actual people—as opposed to the Cashman Simulation created by the all-powerful HAL-bot—someone would look into this. On the virtual New York Yankees of today? Not a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dax Kilby, no homers in 19 games? Home runs are all Cashman cares about. That means he's trade bait, right?

    I hope not. Hitting over .350, he's probably doing a lot of things right. The power could come later. Too bad about the hamstring. Yeah, what's up with that? 20 year old with hamstring injuries?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't get over the Tampons having the #2 overall pick. How did that happen? They had the second worst record in baseball last year? I didn't think they did that bad last year. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why don't we ever pick a guy named Odysseus? Or a girl? Or somebody from France?

    Wasn't Dietz the name of the family that moves into the haunted house in Beetlegeuse? What's going on with that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The scouting reports rate Dax as a really good contact hitter that hits into the gap. Not much power, but his body should grow more and since he's a lefty, hit more HR at Yankees Stadium. But he isn't a good infielder and has a piss-poor arm due to shoulder issues. He will likely end up at second or left field because of that. Think of him as a Luis Arraez type of player.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is shoddy journalism at it's worst. How does this happen? 18 hours to correct or delete the story. Yet nothing was done. Worse, because MLB is a greedy corporate enterprise and sold the HR Derby to the highest bidder, in this case Netflix, many of the fans who usually watch the event on their local Fox affiiate, were shut out (Pun intended). Below from MSN:

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/kyle-schwarber-wins-2026-home-run-derby-in-philadelphia/ss-AA27R9a6?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=a9837f18e12a4a27dc0b4b467801f430&cvpid=d4f4eaa78c8a494af8e7720082b18ef1&ei=13

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, so Dax has "shoulder issues" as well as hammy problems? The guy sounds like he should be in a nursing home!...

    ReplyDelete
  13. How is it that MLB continues to let injuries overwhelm it? How can it be that no one has established training routines that make players stronger, but also able to play a whole season?...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Above all, how can it be that the Cashman Simulation keeps drafting injured players? Shouldn't AI bots have this down?

    ReplyDelete
  15. and, for what it's worth, Dax Dietz is an anagram for "Axed Ditz"

    ReplyDelete
  16. So far, all 3 AL runs driven in by Yankees, and TB's best hitter may have been hurt.

    We've brought in color man Monty Burns for comment. Monty?

    MB (rubbing hands together): Exxxxx-cellent!

    ReplyDelete

Members of the blog can comment. To receive an e-mailed invitation, write to johnandsuzyn@gmail.com. And check spam if it doesn't show up. (Google account required.)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.