Friday, July 31, 2026

Runk Blog continues: Can't nobody hit? Are we simply waiting for the trades?

 

Two in a row, extra innings, a walk-off walk, are you kidding me? WTF is wrong with this team. I'm dealing with Redsock fans - filthy minded, smirking, with their funny green Redsock hats and their Tom Brady shirts and their fake Boston accents and their explosive diarrhea of the mouth, yeah, who can get a word in edgewise, not me, that's for sure, and is Mitch McConnell taking calls? Because that's who the Yankee offense reminds me of. They should call themselves the Mitch Ditch, because they play like they're in one. 

I watched the last inning yesterday. Don't know why. Just had to see it for myself. There was Fernando Cruz, kissing his jewelry, raising his eyes to heaven and going 3-0 on batter after batter - the previous guy swung at ball four and would have ended the game earlier and more humanly, and so he walks in the winning run, another blown opportunity, and this is getting tedious. I need a drink. 

I honestly now believe the Yankees are going to blow this Wild Card chase and finish out of the postseason. Something is really screwy, really bad, about this team. It's got 2013 written all over it. 

17 comments:

  1. Captain Obvious here.

    It is what many would call the middle of the night.

    Worlds within Worlds are changing here and I find myself on the verge of another 6AM airport run so my brain, like the most devoted and slobbering dog you can image popped awake at 3AM asking, “NOW AA? NOW AA? NOW TO PLANES? NOW!?!”
    But it wasn’t now so I grabbed the miraculous glowing rectangle of information and checked around and saw that the Drunken Dooky had posted.
    And I thought in that moment several minutes ago that if he did then so could I.
    The previous two extra innings games were the worst managed few innings of “free baseball” that I have ever witnessed.
    There is no need to go back and lay out the details here as that would be as damaging to my brain as rewatching the game in a closed garage with my car running.
    Some sports gambling entity should launch a betting category exclusively for our Boone-Based Yankees called the ‘Over Six Feet Under’
    I’d advise everyone to rewatch the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory asap.
    I’m going to go drain a tall, coll glass of water now.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Chivilli gave them a good 9th. In the 10th, despite a heroic effort, they failed to bunt into a double play and pushed a run across.

    Time for Bednar, time for the closer. Nope. It was Boonie fingers crossed time, time to see if he could get a lucky second inning out of a promising, maturing, but inexperienced reliever. Didn't work, of course. Then Cruz, and a predictable result.

    Where was the closer? He didn't pitch on Wednesday. Is he hurt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because the AI said Bednar would not be effective without rest and doesn't have good numbers against the hitters he would face in the batting order...

      Delete
  3. NOT making the wildcard would be the best possible outcome, not that Hal and Pal ever learn from their mistakes. It would still be best because it would require them to stand before cameras and mealy-mouth their ways through another ten minutes of discomfort before jetting off to their sad, lonely, impoverished lives. Sadly, they will find a way to eke it out. Then we will truly suffer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To quote Alex from A Clockwork Orange :

      "I've suffered and I've suffered and I've suffered. And everybody wants US to go on suffering."

      Delete
    2. I hope the AI puts us in that direction...there is no gut in the Yankee FO or coaching staff...

      Delete
  4. Wait, they have sad, lonely, impoverished lives? I thought that was us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Hoss. We know the joy of struggle, the pain of character building, the camaraderie of misery. We are the lucky ones, just like those guys in the coal mine right before the poison gas puts them to sleep.

      Delete
  5. At the start of the season, I thought this was a .500 team. Even with Judge. So they're just coming back down to earth after playing too well.

    The White Sox are a better team. Yanks somehow won the first two games of that series. They should be thankful they weren't broom swept. If this series went on further, Yankees would have lost the series, instead of splitting.

    Now on to the Cubbies. You know they're licking their chops. Everybody just can't wait to play the Yankees. I see the Yankees losing two of three here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yankees have too many problems to fix at one trade deadline, thanks be to Cashman. I read they have some real good looking young players down in the FSL and single A. They should stand pat. A lot of this current roster has to turn over in a year or two. They'll need young talent very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year that should be no problem as the lockout is looming. More than looming as some of the owners are itching for it. However, the minors will still be operating, so player development (not an organizational strength) can continue.

      Delete
  7. Wondering why the team doesn’t look at Yanquiel Fernandez currently at Scranton. He’s a real outfielder with power, leads Scranton in home runs. Lots of K’s so he’ll fit right in. Unfortunately, he bats lefty. Still, he seems a better option than Schuemann, Caballero, or Rosario in the OF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yanquiel ... now there's a man who was born to be a Yankee. Of course, they're not promoting him. If it makes sense, they don't do it. They don't like developing players. Maybe partly because they think fan perception will be that they're running up the white flag on the season. They do everything backasswards here. You know the drill.

      Delete
  8. They never hit Japanese pitchers. So I'm expecting another loss today. Hoping that Warren can start to put it together again, like earlier in the year. I'm hearing people babbling about trading Warren or Weathers. I wouldn't trade either one.

    Weathers was a good trade. I thought so when we got him. He just doesn't get any run support.

    Warren has plenty of talent. 95-97 mph fastball. Throws plenty hard. Has good stuff. Doesn't make the best use of his talent. He doesn't know how to get major league hitters out. And our dumb pitching coach can't help him. But you hope that Warren figures it out at some point. Look at pitchers all over the majors today. Plenty of guys with 7 or 8 ERA's. Warren is a lot better than those.

    ReplyDelete

Members of the blog can comment. To receive an e-mailed invitation, write to johnandsuzyn@gmail.com. And check spam if it doesn't show up. (Google account required.)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.