Speaking of playing the money no matter what, Grisham is an embarassment in center. Doesn't he realize that about himself? Good reads and good routes can only go so far to make up for poor wheels. And I don't know that he's so terrific at the first two.
Spencer Jones should obviously be playing center. He's fast, he's good, he can hit. If Boone wants to use Grisham, he should go in right field. There's not much ground to cover there. But between the $22 million and not wanting to humiliate a veteran, Boone will do nothing, especially after last night's offensive explosion by Grish. This is one of those terrible times when you just have to wish for a hinky hammy, even if it adds a few centuries to your time in Purgatory.
Garcia needs to shave. That beard is awful. One man's opinion. Ramos's is pretty bad, too, and he has shown zip at the plate. The change might do him good.
Last night in the comments, it was noted that Gary Sanchez is having a, for him, good year. Batting .224, OPS over .800. Better than Wells. (Have you noticed that Wells has suddenly started hitting? Not amazingly well, but amazingly well for him.) What wasn't mentioned is that in a blowout a couple days ago, Sanchez came in to pitch late in the game. There's a video out there of him throwing a 37 mph curve with a 213 degree drop, basically a slow pitch softball toss that arced high in the air. It might be the folliest Folly Floater of all time.
I continue to inch my way through the Joe D bio I've been reading, and he was one strange dude. But practical. At the best whorehouse in New York, all the beds had satin sheets, but Joe complained that his knees kept sliding when he was screwing. So they kept a set of cotton sheets for when he visited, known within the establishment as the DiMaggio Sheets. He saved his sliding for the basepaths.
Is that the Richard Ben Cramer bio, JM? I found it fascinating, too, but rather harsh. I mean, Joe D. was this completely unschooled kid, he comes to NYC under enormous pressure, turns in (in 1937) maybe the greatest, o.g. Yankee Stadium year ever for a righty batter...and Ruppert and Barrow hang him out to dry for wanting a few thousand more bucks. I think that really warped him.
ReplyDeleteYes, that's the one. Joe holding out for a richer contract, that he deserved, didn't seem to be criticized by Cramer. It was just an event that taught Joe another lesson in being a "hero"...and never wanting to be booed ever again.
DeleteAnd you're right: Jones should be in center. The Martian should've been there originally, where his speed would've done the most good.
ReplyDeleteBoone is an idiot. But we've said that before.
ReplyDeleteBut did he go head first or feet first on those sheets.
ReplyDeleteIf you go head first, BTR, you risk sliding right past your destination.
ReplyDeleteHey, this is hilarious, JM! I really must read that bio. Ain't got around to it yet. But I will, God willing.
ReplyDeleteWonder what brand of condoms Joe D used? I do know that in his later years, he drove a Toyota Corolla. Which back then, when he drove it, was a damn good car. Very reliable. Only oil changes for maintenance. It was a bit underpowered, but with just the driver and no cargo, it wasn't bad. Engine and transmission were incredibly smooth. This was like in the '90s, I think. Now, I hear Toyota has all kinds of quality control issues. There was a recall on the Toyota Camry just the other day, for instance. I wouldn't buy a Toyota these days.
ReplyDeleteI'm still loyal to Toyota, HOG. Then again, I'm still loyal to the Yankees. Maybe I need therapy.
DeleteMazda is the new Toyota now. How things have changed. Mazda used to be Toyota's doormat. Not as reliable. Now Mazda makes really good cars. But avoid the electronic stop start feature. And avoid anything with turbocharging. Turbos are very high maintenance. Subaru would have been a good choice, except I think they have CVT transmissions - continuously variable - which are no good. High maintenance & high failure rate. There are only a few makes/models/trim levels with no electronic stop start, no turbocharging, no CVT transmission. Hard to find these days, but Mazda is one of the few manufacturers still making gasoline powered cars with high reliability/low maintenance.
Delete