And guys, I am about to say something blasphemous. I went to Citi Field for the first time over the weekend. If you ignore which teams play in each park and just compare the stadiums, Citi Field is a clearly better place to watch a game than Yankee Stadium. … Yankee Stadium has Monument Park, true, which is the one big advantage it has. The Stadium leans heavy on history and tradition (in a corporate sort of way). But Citi Field is just more fun. It has an actual big parking lot that people can, and do, use for tailgating. They had a giant inflatable “Mr. Met” outside the front gate. They have an area outside the park with food trucks, music, and games. They had a shoot-the-water-at-the-clown-nose carnival game, for free, and the prizes were actually nice — Jerry Koosman bobbleheads, Billy Joel/Mets T-shirts, or kids’ Mets backpacks (all giveaway leftovers, I’m sure). Inside the park, there is a nice rotunda dedicated to Jackie Robinson when you walk in, plaques for Mets legends in the main rotunda area, plus beyond center field they have an area with food stands and a mini ball field (with an actual video board) that kids can play wiffle ball in. Some “club” rooms that you didn’t need to be a millionaire to get into. Food options were good, although the food and souvenir prices were even crazier than Yankee Stadium (I saw a T-shirt for $55 — what?!?). Seats were nice, getting in and out wasn’t bad at all, even with the US Open starting up nearby (I decided to drive into NYC for the first time in my life, and I made it out alive). We had Astros fans in front of us who said they had traveled to New York as a vacation so they could see games at Yankee Stadium and Citi. I asked one of the guys which park he liked better and he said Citi Field “a hundred times over.” He’s right.
All of the extras at Citi left no impression on me at all, but I just found it a nicer place in which to watch a game. Yankee Stadium feels like a cross between a corporate headquarters and a museum in aspic. Citi feels more like a ballpark.
Exactly, JM. It’s a ballpark. Yankee Stadium isn’t bad — and is more comfortable and has more amenities than the old park — but it doesn’t have the historic feel that the old place did. Citi is built more for fun, Yankee Stadium is something to entice rich people to buy luxury boxes.
Just checked in on the game after burning out writing a grant. Woof. Most unimpressive. This is not a championship team by any stretch of the imagination. This is just sad. Only 3 guys hitting 250 or better. But I guess that's an improvement over the lineups with 3 or 4 guys hitting below the Mendoza line they trotted out earlier this year.
Toss the towel. Call up the kids and see what they can do. DFA Grisham & McMahon (not that anyone will take them) and anyone else that can be dumped off a bridge. Fire the coaches, the manager, the development staff and - most definitely - pull the plug on the AI bot masquerading as their pathetic analytics team....
And do not - under any circumstances - bring back Brian Cashman. Toss him in the dumpster he clearly loves, along with Randy, Lonn and the rest of the country club squad and go get some damn professional leadership!
Hal, in the end, this is all your fault. You suck as an owner. You phone it in and you just don't care. Go play with your money. You've lost your NYC street privileges. Your father was a massive asshole, but he's still way better than you.
(drops mike and walks away disgusted) I'm done. This is pathetic. The 62 Mets were more exciting.
Members of the blog can comment. To receive an e-mailed invitation, write to johnandsuzyn@gmail.com. And check spam if it doesn't show up. (Google account required.)
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Somedays . . . .
ReplyDeleteGood luck, AA. I'm going through the toll booth shortly to the Land of Nod.
ReplyDeleteI hope that your dreams had more runs and less errors than the Yankees, Mr Bit
DeleteWe’re not scoring tonight…
ReplyDeleteUsed up the run quota for the week yesterday.
ReplyDeleteBatman with the bomb is such a great sequence …
ReplyDeleteAnd guys, I am about to say something blasphemous. I went to Citi Field for the first time over the weekend. If you ignore which teams play in each park and just compare the stadiums, Citi Field is a clearly better place to watch a game than Yankee Stadium. … Yankee Stadium has Monument Park, true, which is the one big advantage it has. The Stadium leans heavy on history and tradition (in a corporate sort of way). But Citi Field is just more fun. It has an actual big parking lot that people can, and do, use for tailgating. They had a giant inflatable “Mr. Met” outside the front gate. They have an area outside the park with food trucks, music, and games. They had a shoot-the-water-at-the-clown-nose carnival game, for free, and the prizes were actually nice — Jerry Koosman bobbleheads, Billy Joel/Mets T-shirts, or kids’ Mets backpacks (all giveaway leftovers, I’m sure). Inside the park, there is a nice rotunda dedicated to Jackie Robinson when you walk in, plaques for Mets legends in the main rotunda area, plus beyond center field they have an area with food stands and a mini ball field (with an actual video board) that kids can play wiffle ball in. Some “club” rooms that you didn’t need to be a millionaire to get into. Food options were good, although the food and souvenir prices were even crazier than Yankee Stadium (I saw a T-shirt for $55 — what?!?). Seats were nice, getting in and out wasn’t bad at all, even with the US Open starting up nearby (I decided to drive into NYC for the first time in my life, and I made it out alive). We had Astros fans in front of us who said they had traveled to New York as a vacation so they could see games at Yankee Stadium and Citi. I asked one of the guys which park he liked better and he said Citi Field “a hundred times over.” He’s right.
I have sworn a pledge never to enter the “new” YS. I think that sums up my position.
DeleteAll of the extras at Citi left no impression on me at all, but I just found it a nicer place in which to watch a game. Yankee Stadium feels like a cross between a corporate headquarters and a museum in aspic. Citi feels more like a ballpark.
DeleteExactly, JM. It’s a ballpark. Yankee Stadium isn’t bad — and is more comfortable and has more amenities than the old park — but it doesn’t have the historic feel that the old place did. Citi is built more for fun, Yankee Stadium is something to entice rich people to buy luxury boxes.
DeleteMakes sense
ReplyDeleteWhat was with that throw to the Angel’s on deck circle - I mean home plate ?
Ugh
I thought the Little Leaguers played yesterday.
ReplyDeleteEEEEEEEEEEEE ball
ReplyDeleteFukkit. I’m done.
ReplyDeleteJust checked in on the game after burning out writing a grant. Woof. Most unimpressive. This is not a championship team by any stretch of the imagination. This is just sad. Only 3 guys hitting 250 or better. But I guess that's an improvement over the lineups with 3 or 4 guys hitting below the Mendoza line they trotted out earlier this year.
ReplyDeleteToss the towel. Call up the kids and see what they can do. DFA Grisham & McMahon (not that anyone will take them) and anyone else that can be dumped off a bridge. Fire the coaches, the manager, the development staff and - most definitely - pull the plug on the AI bot masquerading as their pathetic analytics team....
And do not - under any circumstances - bring back Brian Cashman. Toss him in the dumpster he clearly loves, along with Randy, Lonn and the rest of the country club squad and go get some damn professional leadership!
Hal, in the end, this is all your fault. You suck as an owner. You phone it in and you just don't care. Go play with your money. You've lost your NYC street privileges. Your father was a massive asshole, but he's still way better than you.
(drops mike and walks away disgusted)
I'm done. This is pathetic. The 62 Mets were more exciting.
10-1? To the Angels??
ReplyDelete