Thursday, April 19, 2012

Joe Piscopo left Saturday Night Live in 1984. So what does John ask him?

In the bottom of the seventh last night, Yankee fan Joe Piscopo visited the booth. It's like a trip back in time. Who can forget his great Frank Sinatra bits, covering songs by "Mr. Bruce Spring-STEIN." (Though let's not forget that he took part in a "Let's Go Mets" video; you can't have it both ways.)

The interview lasts four minutes. It starts with Joe blathering about how great it is to be here:

JOE: I can't believe it. I'm up in the booth with the heartbeat of the Yankees. I feel like a little kid here.

He goes on...
JOE: This is all about baseball. I'm a huge fan. This is my sport. I love it! 

He talks about visiting the Yankee Stadium gift shop, and Suzyn says she's never been there.

JOE: You haven't seen the Suzyn Waldman doll yet?

Suzyn laughs hysterically at this. John pipes in:
JOHN: Joe, the next time, you ought to go down the left field line, they have roast beef sandwiches, take your heart away.

They talk about how Joe secured tickets to the game: He called Mitch Modell, and Mitch came through, and John says Mitch Modell is a great humanitarian, and they talk about the Mitch Model foundation - or something - because I've never heard of Mitch Model, though I'm sure he's a great man..

There is a break, as John calls a few pitches, and then... keeping in mind that Joe left SNL 28 years ago... there is this quintesential John moment. The best part is John's conclusion at the end.

No comments: