Wednesday, October 7, 2026

At the end of the world, Fire or Rice? (Apologies to Robert Frost)

 JAZZ OR RICE?   

Some say the year will end with Jazz,
Some say Ben Rice.
And if we're down to our last man,
I have no faith in Ryan McMahon.
For when they fail, we'll pay the price,
I think we'll find that even Goldy
Is too old for a golden oldie,
And playing Volpe over Jazz,
Won't matter much, I think, whereas,
I guess I'd rather go with Rice
,
And hope our offense
Will suffice.

20 comments:

  1. Our offense is an offense against baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last Chance Saloon for the Yanks, as The Master used to say.

    Win, and they earn a ticket to the next game. Lose, and they go a-huntin' and a-fishin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stupidity of the best hitter in the #2 slot has reached a new height. It's now the best hitter in the #1 slot! Yep, you put your best hitter (and your biggest home run hitter) in the leadoff slot. That way, it's guaranteed that he hits with no one on base in the 1st inning. Plus, the chances of him coming up with men on base later in the game is reduced, simply because the #8 and #9 hitters are going to be the worst hitters in the lineup.

    Next year, they might remedy that situation by putting the next best hitters in the lineup in the #8 and #9 slots. That way, there is a pretty good chance that the #1 hitter will come up with men on base later in the game. And in that case, the worst hitters in the lineup will hit #6 and #7. Furthermore, there is another school of thought that says you put your worst hitters in the #4 and #5 slots, because that would maximize the chances of your #1 hitter coming up later in the game with men on base.

    Hey, the Yankees are not the leaders in this lineup exercise. The Dodgers have had Ohtani leading off for a long time. The Cubbies this year had their best hitter, Pete Crow-Armstrong leading off. Pretty soon, most of baseball will have their best hitter leading off.

    For years now, I've been sayin', why have your best hitter in the #2 slot? Why not have him lead off? So I'm glad they're listening to me!

    May I suggest that you simply put your hitters in the lineup from best OPS to worst OPS? 1-9, ordered by OPS. That probably would maximize the runs scored for the regular season. Re-inventing the wheel....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Torn between wanting to avoid the ignominy of being swept and simply wanting it to be over. Not that it’s going to better next year…if there is a next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you might be arguing against analytics, HOG. I think we should just do alphabetical order. Let’s be done with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTR999, I am not torn. I want this to end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I'm with The WW! Put us out of our misery. Give us a soldier's death! Use the misericordia. This is what it's for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yankee Boy Kay ripped the Yanks a new one yesterday...the whole situation is embarrassing. The team is built to be a playoff team not a winning playoff team...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's a low bar, Ranger - "just good enough." What great team or organization ever lived by that motto?

      Delete
    2. Top 40 Percent! Top 40 Percent! After all, that's what New York is all about, right? "Slight better than average!"

      Delete
  9. I am torn.

    I always want the Yankees to win, especially against tampons or carmines or ASStros.

    But I'd take a loss if ca$hole would be fired.

    I expect to be disappointed on both counts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cashman will not be fired. Period. He does exactly what his boss wants.

    I'd like to see the Yankees pull this out. But they won't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff, Duque! I love the classics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And Hammer, I think they actually would like to have the lineup run in order of OPS. Which is stupid, as you say.

    Over the many years, the idea of what a lineup should look like took shape.

    Leadoff man: Gets on base a lot, preferably fast.
    2 Hitter: Good at getting the runner over. It's changed somewhat since they don't sacrifice anymore, but it then should be another guy who gets on base a lot.
    3-5 Hitters: Power guys, or at least high average, to drive in runs.
    6-9 Hitters: Since the pitcher's slot went away, a mix of good BA and power hitters, as good as you have, no particular order.

    Under the new way—as you point out, Hammer—they put the best hitter first, which means he bats a little more often but also has many, many more at-bats with no one on base before him.

    In the old days, they would've just plunked him, then let the batting team waste outs trying to move him over. Today, I would give, say, Ohtani, an intentional walk at the start of each game, then every time he came up again with nobody on.

    Yeah, sometimes that would backfire. Not very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of plunking Ohtani. Where's Eric Plunk? He should take off those glasses, and just squint, like Troy Percival. First warm up pitch goes to the screen behind the backstop.

      Oh, BTW, Dodgers changed their lineup the other day. Ohtani no longer bats leadoff because he's been so terrible for a while now. Just think, only three more years, and Cashman will give six prospects for him!

      Delete
  13. In 2027, we'll be saying the same things.
    Hoping Judge will be back
    Jazz fresh off a new 3yr contract sucks!!
    Volpe sucks!!
    Schittler will ready for 2028 after TJ surgery
    Rondon, Cole & Fried are all Fried
    Nothing will change

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anguish makes for fine poetry, and also this from El Duque.

    I've stolen it for Bardball.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honored. (If any of you don't know Bardball.com, check it out.)

      Delete
  15. Yeah, we've given up on these losers. Especially the losers in ownership & management. Can't help it when the bastards running the whole show want to lose (or don't care if they lose). And so I ask for the umpteenth time whilst boarding the 5:15:

    Why should I care?
    Whhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy should I care?
    (doo-doo doo-doo doo-doo doo-doo
    doooooo)

    ReplyDelete
  16. "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on"

    ReplyDelete

Members of the blog can comment. To receive an e-mailed invitation, write to johnandsuzyn@gmail.com. And check spam if it doesn't show up. (Google account required.)