Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Annual dRUNK blog begins today. For next four days, expect no cogency.

 

Every year, I gather with old college buddies for four days of nonstop drinking bullshit sharp social dialogue. Imagine the Burning Man festival merged with a Juggalo convention, which subsists on Labatt's Blue and Utz Honey Barbecue chips. It's not exactly the Chautauqua Institute, unless it hosted a weeklong salute to the Three Stooges, on mescaline and bad laxatives. 

Did I mention that we're all in our 70s?

The event includes a few straggling Redsock fans, to whom I shall gently pose the following questions.

1. WTF happened to the great and almighty Marcelo Mayer? I thought he was supposed to be the next Jeter? Your Jeter. Like Jeter Downs was? Hey, remember Jeter Downs?  

2. Is superman Roman Anthony still a thing? Didn't he bad cleanup for Team USA in the World Baseball Cup? Is it true that he's hitting .229? Wow. That's territory occupied by The Martian.  

3. So, lemme get this straight: Aroldis is gonna close all season. He's never gonna blow? Ever? He's just gonna keep throwing 104 mph strikes, with flash flood warning sweat glands, and everything's gonna be okay? Lemme get this on tape. Aroldis is gonna save the season? Uh-huh. 

4. Where is Jeter Downs, anyway? Drinking with Alex Verdugo? I wonder if they're talking about Mookie Betts?

5. Hey, you DO realize that neither the Yankees nor Boston are gonna win it all, right? We'll play 162 games, then three weeks of postseason, and the Dodgers will walk away with it, as they were always gonna, right?

6. Yeah, I hear you... Giancarlo, Giancarlo, Giancarlo... I yell "Jeter Downs," and you yell "Giancarlo." Do we sound like idiots?

7. Oh yeah? JETER DOWNS, pally. JETER DOWNS.

Okay, folks, I'm off the clock and chasing danger.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are going to have a great time and I hope you enjoy

    I was going to say keep safe but watching this Yankees team and with the forthcoming trade deadline I will say this instead

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-EdiXP87uE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful advice. Hey, nothing near you is burning this summer, I hope?

      Delete
    2. We have had a heat wave which is very rare in Scotland and up in the Highlands a nasty wildfire that needed the help of the army to put out but apart from that ok here in the Lowlands just Scottish people walking about sunburnt which looks very strange as we are usually shocking white in colour from the lack of sunshine

      Back to persisitant rain which will be the weather for the rest of the year now

      Delete
  2. DOWNS GOES JETER !
    DOWNS GOES JETER !
    DOWNS GOES JETER !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't Labatts Blue Vida's brother?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vida Blue, the trivia answer to "Who was the only switch-hitter after Mickey Mantle to win the AL MVP award?"

      Delete
  4. El Duque, I hope you and your buddies fare better than this gentleman after an extended period of excessive drinking:

    https://youtu.be/e2XrYSACrs0?si=otYw76dKV13vtp2_

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had to look it up...

    On July 30, 2024, Downs signed with the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks of Nippon Professional Baseball.[41] He played in seven games down the stretch for the team, going 6-for-22 (.273) with one home run, two RBI, and one stolen base.

    Downs made 50 appearances for Fukuoka in 2025, slashing .226/.315/.418 with four home runs, 18 RBI, and four stolen bases. With the Hawks, Downs won the 2025 Japan Series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The YES Network and MSG Networks are exiting their joint venture streaming service Gotham Sports and bringing the local games for their teams to DAZN.

    Local games for MLB’s New York Yankees, the NHL’s New York Rangers, New York Islanders and New Jersey Devils, as well as the NBA’s New York Knicks and Brooklyn Nets, will be offered via DAZN, a global streaming sports service.

    The move comes as regional sports networks are being upended by a variety of forces — namely cord cutting — and are seeking new ways to find subscribers and get in front of fans.

    https://www.cnbc.com/2026/07/29/yes-network-msg-networks-dazn-streaming.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what happens when these companies and cable services continually gouge their customers and raise prices every 6 months. I cut the cord 7 years ago and wish I had done so years before. I remember the cable systems justifying their pricing by claiming regional sports networks charged them $15.00 or higher in rights fees per month. Yet when these networks pulled their broadcast rights over fees, the cable system would rebate the consumer 25 cents (Only if you asked) or offered to replace the Yankees with The Fishing Network as compensation.

      Delete
  8. IPTV has a ton of DAZN channels for all kinds of events. So, I guess they have the money to throw around.

    ReplyDelete

Members of the blog can comment. To receive an e-mailed invitation, write to johnandsuzyn@gmail.com. And check spam if it doesn't show up. (Google account required.)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.