His constant getting-over-PEDs type of injuries are annoying as hell. Basically because we could really, really, REALLY use somebody who can rack up an OPS of .944 and, on average, hit homers in a third of the games he's in.
At the moment, as I think you've probably noticed, we can't hit and have trouble scoring runs. And to me, not scoring runs is a much bigger problem than a guy who can't run.
So I continue to say that we're better off when Stanton plays than when he doesn't. Sadly, he doesn't play very much. Of course, that's even more true of Judge. It's even true of Bellinger, if the only alternative we have is Helium. What a waste of space.
Speaking of Cody, he had the quote of the day yesterday after playing left field for six innings with Scranton.
"That was good to get those in there to feel good."
As Steve Martin once said, some people have a way with words, and some people..not have way, I guess.
JM - I respect your opinion, always, and even see how the numbers could work for us with Giancarlo. I think that one problem here is that he is emblematic of much that is wrong with the organization. He reminds us all of Brian and his snake oil show. For better or worse, he is the face of the Yankee personality that we have come to hate.
ReplyDeleteJM, I love you to death. But I'm afraid you're wrong about Stanton, McGee.
ReplyDeleteYes, all of the Yankees are too prone to injury, Judge included. But Judge's time lost to injury since 2018—when Giancarlo joined the team—is just about half of the 592 games Stanton will have missed with the Yanks by the end of this season.
And again: that 592 in 9 years is way more than the 255 regular season games The Mick missed...in 18 years.
But the point is—and there IS a point in here...
...Never mind the injury time, per se. Because the Yanks never know when Stanton might be fit, they're constantly having to maneuver around him. Then, when he does get back, there is often a week or two spent being completely ineffectual while he gets his swing back.
ReplyDeleteAnd...the running matters. At least a little. Not every hit is going to be a home run. Getting, say, to second base might be necessary from time to time. And not being able to play the field at all now...
The man's simply not reliable.
Yes, it's like the office worker who's one of the best at his job, but the guy has a drinking problem or something and only shows up once every three weeks.
DeleteOr, the ace guitarist who has a heroin addiction and only shows up for the concert when he can wake up on time.
After a while, you just can't take anymore of it. He's got to go.
All true. But I miss his bat.
ReplyDeleteWell, you don't have to worry because Cashman will sign this sucker to a new four year deal once the current contract expires.
Delete