Saturday, January 15, 2022

By scheduling a game on a winter night in Buffalo, the NFL declares war on its most loyal fans

Twice, I've attended games of the ill-fated-but-earnest Buffalo Bills football team, the truest sports analogy for upstate New York. Both were afternoon games in December. I wore heavy coats, thermal boots and long underwear. Both times, I froze my ass - I mean - shivering, shaking, taking refuge in the piss-heated restrooms. I don't remember the games at all. I just remember the cold.  

In Bills games, there are moments when you might think the crowd is doing The Wave. A spontaneous roar shakes the stadium, untethered to the game. It is the collective shrieks of people reacting to a gust of wind, which whips across the field and freezes the beer in your bladder. People scream, literally, in pain. 

Then, if you're from Syracuse - and I know many who make the pilgrimage - comes a two-hour ride home on the NY State Thruway, the worst place on earth to be caught in a snowstorm. I've been there. There is no whiteout quite like a whiteout at night. A while back, I was an embedded reporter with the 10th Mountain Division during the war in Iraq. The guys in the 171 Cavalry would ask if I was scared. I always gave the same answer: No, I've been on the NY State Thruway during a blizzard, and this is nothing. They thought I was joking. Honestly, I wasn't...   

Tonight, upstate New York will watch the Bills play the hated - no, make that "despised" - New England Patriots, who once defined "cheating," at least before the Houston Astros entered the chat. The TV networks will regale us with shots of coatless young men with painted bellies - why paint your belly if you don't plan to take off your coat? - mugging for the lens. Just point the camera, and the fans will comply. It's a proud tradition.

Tonight, by the 8:15 kickoff, the temperature at Highmark Stadium will hit the single digits. By halftime, the wind-chill factor will plummet well into the minus-teens.  It will fall all night. The players will use on-field heaters. The fans will have nothing. 

And I must break from our regular Yankee discourse to ask one question:

How the fuck can the NFL do this to its fans?

What kind of rancidly evil corporation not only forces employees to work in dangerous conditions but - worse - threatens the health of its most loyal customers? 

The saddest part of this is that today will be a glorious winter afternoon across upstate New York - sunny, a slight wind, and, yes, brutally cold. Still, a great day for football.

Why in hell do they subject fans to a night game? 

Of course, we all know why: Ratings, advertising, TV money. It's fun to watch the spectacle of people freezing.

But if anybody suffers hypothermia, or frostbite, or worse, I hope they - or their families - sue the living hell out of the NFL. 

12 comments:

DickAllen said...


Man, do I feel that.

Went to a wedding in Toronto many years ago on New Year's Eve. Didn't get as far as Rochester on the Thruway before being turned back because it was closed due to snow. Went around the lake through Watertown (they sure gave that town the right name). Lake affect snow is no joke.

There is no thing in the world more frightening than a white-out, unless you count the time I came up 81 from Bing along the Cortland Valley in a fog at night. That was a nightmare. First time in my life I was relieved to see Syracuse. Last time too.

The Archangel said...

They do not care about the denizens that actually attend games. They are just props for the massive TV and Betting audiences.


In more depressing new;
apparently the Melk Man will no longer deliver.

I hope the the 72.8 mil he has made in his career will be enough to keep him in banned substances for his long life.

The Archangel said...

ElDuque,
I forgot to add NEVEN NEVER NEVER refer to "The Ralph" by any other name or the demons which inhabit your personal Dante's Inferno will begin their eternal torture sooner than you think.
Have a nice day

Just saying...

el duque said...

I actually had to look up the name of the stadium, because The Ralph is all I knew.

The Archangel said...

Ok, then you are forgiven my son.
The Ralph by any other name is still a rose.

JM said...

I drove through a blizzard from New York to Schenectady once. And it was a rental so I couldn't smoke in the car. Which is a good thing, because I would've needed a few more packs than what I had on me.

Doug K. said...

Lost my first car on the NYS Thruway during a snow storm.

Stopped to go to the bathroom and when I came out it was gone!




OK that's a joke, but I did total it.

DickAllen said...


I went to Joe Namath's last game as a Jet.

December. Shea Stadium. Cold rain.

All the Jack Daniels in the world didn't help.

DickAllen said...


The Yankees are adding to their depth of high-end shortstop prospects.

They agreed to a $4 million deal with 17-year-old Dominican Republic native Roderick Arias, MLB.com’s top-ranked prospect on the international market, Saturday, according to the The Post’s Dan Martin.

DickAllen said...


Soon to be known as "The Player to be Named Later."

C... said...

I lived a year or so in Buffalo. I was so impressed with loyalty of the Bills fans. The Bills were terrible that season, yet everywhere you went, you seen bills logos. Im from pdx, when you have 1 pro team (in a small market), you learn to take the pain. Great city, great Buffalo wings,beautiful summers.

The Archangel said...

Is Arias a Plutonian if we have a Martian already?
He cost a little less and Pluto may or may not be a planet.
Besides, Pluto remains the most underrated Disney character.