Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Carpe Diem!

I spent yesterday thinking about JM's reminder that every season could be our final one and that we should enjoy it. I couldn't agree more. 

This last year saw my 96 year old  mom moved to an assisted living facility in another state, the almost total wiping out of the old guard in the neighborhood I grew up in...  people that I still called  "Mrs. and their last name",  and saw my prostate cored out like the inside of an avocado by a thulium laser as I became the living embodiment  of the joke... 

I went to my doctor and he told me he needs a blood sample, a urine sample, and a stool sample and I said, "Take my underwear." 

The entire experience was massively disconcerting but in the end...

(Note the wordplay in "but" and "in the end" when talking about prostate surgery -  One day, when the study of  IIHIIFIIC is a curriculum requirement at Utica College, these will be the kinds of things that get focused on. 

El Duque's, "Across Camp Hellbent, sunblock-smeared Gammonites stand in awe of the rock-ribbed backstories that now gush from every tap. If Ponce de Leon could see this, he could die in peace, having found the Fountain."  is a three hour lecture right there. 

… but in the end, despite looking a little too much like the chubby guy on the Depends box for around a month and a half, I am happy to report that taking a leak is back to the twenty to thirty seconds it should be, and that includes washing my hands. (Most of the time.) 

No longer do I have to stand there humming "Red River Valley"," The Erie Canal", and other water themed songs in the hopes that my bladder will take the hint and join in on the fun. 

By now you are asking one of two questions... Where can I sign up to get my prostate nuked? Or What does this have to do with the Yankees?

Carpe Diem! 

It's Spring Training and I'm going to use this time to fully embrace the hope. I'm going to buy into what I previously called out as bullshit as recently as my comment on the last post. 

"Nestor Cortes strikes out Yankees’ Juan Soto three times to ace first spring test"

https://nypost.com/2024/02/20/sports/nestor-cortes-strikes-out-yankees-juan-soto-three-times/

Yes!!!! Nestor is Back! 

So Soto struck out three times. He was just being a good teammate. Giving Nestor a little confidence as he works himself back into shape. 

And speaking of shape... Stanton's new exercise program looks like it's paying off! Sure he can no longer dead lift random drunk women in nightclubs... unless they are anorexic supermodels. I'm pretty sure he can still do those... 

This spring is about showing the world that he can still be a "ballplayer" he's going to run, hit, field, throw, catch, lay off the low and outside pitch and reclaim the job of cleanup hitter that he inexplicably never had to vacate despite hitting below .200. 

"Yankees camp has been buzzing about DJ LeMahieu" - The Athletic

Hey, he had a great second half! 

Rizzo? Concussions heal. 

Aaron Judge says: ‘There might be another move on the way’ for Yankees as free agents linger."  - NY Daily News 


Plus MLB is making the players wear new uniforms! 
















How cool is that! 

Face it, there's a lot to be excited about but I'll stop now because, nature calls and by G-d I'm ready to answer. 

15 comments:

el duque said...

You know what? I'm coming around to agree with Doug K.

This might turn out to be the best month of the year, Yankeewise. We better enjoy it.

And I'm not being negative, in saying that. THIS YANKEE TEAM LOOKS FLY.

HoraceClarke66 said...

That's very sad and very funny, Doug. Glad to hear you're feeling better. And how appropriate your condition is, when it comes to the little pishers who run the Yankees.

Local Bargain Jerk said...


She's a good old worker and a good old pal...

Please stay on the mend, Doug K.


Carl J. Weitz said...

@ Doug K.---You're channeling your inner Rodney Dangerfield!

@ El Duque..... I always tell my kids, "I'm very fly for an older guy."
I'm not sure they believe me.

AboveAverage said...

Oui, oui Doug - oui, oui!

And although everyone must hold on just a wee bit longer for the season to get going, I too find myself a bit flush with excitement and honestly hopeful that 2024 will wash away the cynicism that crimped off much of my enjoyment of last season.

So let's all shake it off and don't let these douche bags get us down!

And Doug - I hope that you continue to heal and get fully back in the swing of things ASAP.




Also - I wish it would stop raining out here. Even when the sun pokes through you get piddled on.

Scottish Yankee fan said...


Good to hear you are on the mend Doug and best wishes to your mum as well

Doug K. said...

Thank you all.

Gotta say, while it sucked it wasn't too bad overall. Went home the same day. First couple of weeks were disquieting.

I'm around 90% now and pretty much am back to what passes for my normal routine. It doesn't look like I'll have long term negative consequences and no shortage of long term gains.

BTR999 said...

Doug, All thr best. 👍

Alphonso said...

The fun begins at 80.

As for Cortez, it may also be a sign that Soto is over-rated.

But I don't mean to be the downer.

I am more than 80 already.

It hits home when we start out living out family doctors, dentists, and accountants.

No to mention family and neighbors.

Go Stanton. Run a 4.4 forty.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Enjoy what you can while you can. For me that's hoping Judge survives the Ca$hman reign.

Best wishes to Doug on his health.

Come to think of it, best wishes to all you old geezers on your health.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=13256

Kuroda, where I ran into (well, saw) Mayor Pete.

Named after a member of the 442.

Don't know if he was related to Hideki (Probably not).

Some things just circle around.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Also, interesting fact: carpe diem is Latin for "Seize the carp." It's true!

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Hoss

I always thought it was "a carp a day keeps the houseguest away"

AboveAverage said...

Never to be confused with remove the tarp

JM said...

Jesus, Doug, I had no idea. I'm really glad you're almost all the way back and that the lasering was successful. But I'm really sorry your mom went out of state to be in a good nursing home. That can't be easy.

Your comment about seeing the entire old guard disappear from your childhood neighborhood hits home. I watched that, too, as they fell, one by one, over the course of the years. The health issues and physical limitations of aging pale next to the loss you have to deal with, over and over and over.

But enough of my carping. Unless I'm carping my diem.