Friday, May 7, 2010

Is Jesus Another Over-Hyped Prospective Star?

I just returned from Rome where I had a "sit-down" with some guy in gold lame robes, a Princess Lea bejeweled crown and a walking stick with a baseball-sized gold ball at the top. And I had only had one bottle of local wine at that point.


It wasn't " Gay Pride " week over there. There must simply be a lot of folks in Rome with vivid imaginations who really thrive upon role play theater.

I immediately offered him a straight swap; my hat and gold necklace for his scepter. He offered me some cheap wine, instead. I think his name was Bennie.

He had with him ( parked outside in a bus ) an entourage of young boys who, according to my translator, are a local baseball team he coaches in the 10-12 year old hard ball league. The team isn't very good right now, but they are all getting a free ride at some monastery in the nearby hills.

We sat down with some grappa and began to talk about Jesus. As we all know, Jesus is currently the top prospect in the Yankee universe and is loved by millions of Americans. Heck, according to my translator, there are millions of Africans who have never even seen a baseball who already love the guy.

I understand they are buying his jersey, hats, candles, soaps, baubles and artifacts of every sort, just to show their faith in this kid. The guys at the YES network must be drooling in their soup at the idea of tapping into this fan base.

Here is my pledge: I'll start eating fried pork products again if this dude ever makes it to Cooperstown.

So far, Jesus has nearly as many strikeouts as hits in Scranton, is showing little power, and is batting a very flat .247. His OBP is barely .300. For a guy who supposedly can do anything, he isn't doing much right now.

In fairness, Jesus has risen quite rapidly from the lower levels to Scranton. And he has often endured little "setbacks," before resurrecting his game to a higher level. Perhaps we just have to have faith that the "higher ups" know what they are doing, and that Jesus will eventually show enough value to hang around.

My worry is that the media and other important influencers are continually over-stating his abilities and contribution, as so often happens with Yankee prospects. Austin Jackson, for example, had more legitimate and verifiable tools than Jesus has ever shown, and he was quickly packaged up and sent to Detroit.

And as has happened with other highly touted names ( Bam Bam Meulens comes to mine, along with Jacks0n Melian, etc ), it would not surprise me to find Jesus working as a guide on the fishing channel in another year or two, or carrying nails for some home remodeling outfit.

Right now, I don't think he could hit David Robertson.

And that is a sign that this guy is in the wrong business.







1 comment:

55 said...

I can't tell if you're joking or not.