Sunday, September 11, 2022

I'm Responsible For Yesterday's Win!


Well, maybe not but cause and effect, yo!

I listen to most if not all Yankee games, occasionally watching on TV. I'm no fan of the Giant Head (though I can tolerate him when accompanied by Coney or Flash) but my default, my go-to, is always the "radio," which means streaming on my phone. I'm "out of market," so I even paid $3 a month for the MLB.TV audio, despite finding a rogue streaming station that flouted (or flaunted — not sure which applies; maybe both) the rules and streamed the games anyway. I decided to pay because $3 was worth it to not hear a certain commercial campaign on that station. And where else can you hear Suzyn say "Isah-ER Kina Falefa" and John's obsession with the freakin' loss column but the radio?

Anyway .... (I digress), after Friday's debacle, I decided I couldn't bear listening to another Yankee blowout against the Tampons — at least for that day — so since I'd been up at the crack of Dawn (and no, that's not my girlfriend's name) and was groggy, I turned on the white noise machine, put on my sleep shades and decided to snooze instead of tuning in.

Before jumping into the arms of Morpheus (no, not my boyfriend), I checked the score: Six-nothing Yanks in the first inning! 

Clearly, I was the problem. My incessant listening jinxed the Bombers and since I wasn't tuned in, they scored. Or maybe I had no effect whatsoever and they just decided to be the Yankees again. Or something. Not sure. But still ... Dare I listen today and for the rest of the season? Probably ...

 

8 comments:

mik said...

"My incessant listening jinxed the Bombers"

- Well, if that's what it takes, please, KEEP LISTENING! Maybe even blast it from your speakers.

JM said...

I have this same belief. That if I ignore the game, we'll win.

It's just really hard to ignore the game.

Doug K. said...

Whitey -

Please don't watch the Giants today. They really need to start the season with a win.

Also, I love that you wrote the following:

"File under David Cone, Dawn, Florida, Giant Head, John Flaherty, John Sterling, Michael Kay, MLB.tv, Morpheus, New York Yankees Radio Network driven by Jeep, rambling nonsense, Suzyn Waldman, TV, WFAN, Whitey Fraud, WWBA "

That's just great!

I'm afraid to click on Morpheus. Dawn is apparently a dish soap. And does the WWBA (which is not the WNBA) stand for the old, "White Women's Basketball Association" the short lived league of their own from the 40s?

HoraceClarke66 said...

THAT'S what WWBA stood for, Doug?

Damn. I thought it was, "Wild Women's Basketball Association."

Rufus T. Firefly said...

...or it could be a sports radio station in south Florida.

...or the latest monkeypox strain. Which Morpheus definitely DOES NOT HAVE!

Whitey Fraud said...

WWBA

Doug K. said...

Whitey,

My bad. I thought that the "crack of Dawn" was a reference to Dawn Staley, Basketball great, Hall of Famer, and coach of the South Carolina Women's Gamecocks.

(I will not write a joke here. You showed admirable restraint earlier and I will try to hold my self to that standard.)

That took me to WNBA and WWBA just seemed like a typo.

Historical note: The WWBA that I referred to only played one game Feb 18th 1941. They disbanded and formed the also short lived Association of White Women Bowlers and later, Q Anon.

The Hammer of God said...

@Hoss, Hell, I'd love to meet some of these "Wild Women"!