Friday, July 31, 2020

Barnstorming Time

(NOTE: Due to nothing working anymore, anywhere, ever, this HoraceClarke66 composition had to be posted by Mustang, but make no mistake: Hoss is the writer.)



So, the Yanks' schedule series against the Phillies got canceled on account of the virus running rampant amongst the Marlins.  Or was it the other way around?  

Frankly, I'm having trouble keeping up.  So they went to play the Orioles, instead.

Fine.

What this whole insane season suggests to me is that it's time to get back to barnstorming.  Pack up the duffel bags, and some extra bats.  Wrap a few dozen sandwiches in wax paper, and don't forget the cooler for the beer. Then get the boys on the bus and let's hit the open road, taking on all comers.

There are plenty of games to be had out there.  I hear the Troy Haymakers are eager to test their mettle.  Then there's the Fort Wayne Kekiongas and the Forest Citys, the Olympics and the Middletown Mansfields, the Elizabeth Resolutes and the Keokuk Westerns—and let's not forget the Cuban Stars, and the Monarchs, and the Bacharach Giants and the Hillsdale Daisies.  

Why, we can get all the way to Ioway before the weather starts to turn, beat it back to the city to take on the Eckfords or the Atlantic, the Excelsiors or the Niagaras, whoever the champion of Brooklyn is this year, in the Challenge Cup.  

Go into each town singing our team fight song to draw the crowd, and take on the locals for half the gate.  No need to have formal leagues or schedules which we can't maintain anymore anyway.  No need to impose meaning on any of it.

Just get out there and play whenever we can.  Wink at the pretty girls during infield, and shake hands with the mayor.  Sleep over in a cabin court, or out in the barn.  Wash the dust from our faces in a country creek, and buy some roadside corn on the way out of town.

Barnstorming.  Its time has come again.

1 comment:

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.