Friday, October 2, 2026

Let us take a moment to savor the sweet dulcimer tones of a Boston rage-nausea weekend

They've resurrected the Mookie trade. It's been six years. They're still foaming. And when they tire of denouncing Alex Verdugo and Jeter Downs, it's Devers Time. (Where is Jose Bello these days?) 

And don't forget the 2018 cheating scandal, when they were caught stealing signs. Or the firing of Alex Cora, when they busted former Captain Jason Varitek down to clown coach. Best of all, it's their raging sense of abuse, of betrayal... 

They know what's happened, they know what's coming, and they know their owner doesn't give a diddly shit. 

He'll spend this winter on the Elysian, his $90 million super-yacht. When doom-counseling Boston fans, that's my go-to image: John Henry, on a floaty in his infinity pool, sipping a martini and deciding not to re-sign Pine Tar Sonny Gray. Excuse me. I just farted, joyously. My body speaks when my mind knows the moment is too wonderful for words.

This is the Redsock Weekend of Rage, a magical time when the Fenway Nation devours itself with fava beans and a nice chianti. It's a magnificent 30 hours, and it conjures memories of the Wayback Nineties, when the Curse of the Bambino kept Dan Shaughnessy awake all night - back before the Yankeocalypse, from which we are still recovering. (And there is only one way to end our suffering.) 

It's wonderful when they lash out at each other. 


Tomorrow, we can ponder the hate-fueled town of Tampa. We certainly know them. We play them all year, and even on the road against them, we sleep in our own beds. Our radio broadcasts cut into their market. Our fans infiltrate their bleachers. They loathe us with the intensity of a billion melanomas, especially because their stars secretly want to join us, to play in packed stadiums instead of a giant ping pong ball with sound effects. But today, let's enjoy the reliving of Mookie and Boston's list of grievances. Dear God, it's a day for Calgon Bath Oil Beads and Brigadoon Refsnyder. Bring on the wonder.
Shall we say it? 

Dare we say it? 

Oh, hell, let's say it...

Yanks in Five.

6 comments:

DickAllen said...

It's a great day to be a Yankees fan. Even better is to hear Sonny badmouthing his manager. He has a bit of Jonathan Papelbon in him.

13bit said...

I'm reserving my judgement and predictions, premonitions and even prepositions for the moment. Tampa is not Boston. And Boston will be sending all of their spiritual energy into our demise, beginning tomorrow. But we shall see. I am NOT without hope. Just keeping my big trap shut. I'm waiting for you all to weigh in: Hoss, HOG, Carl, Rufus, JM and everybody else. What say you? I'm still feeling queasy.

Local Bargain Jerk said...


I'll go with Yanks in 4. Take one in Tampa and then finish at home. I'd prefer them to take the Saturday game a) to set the tone and b) so I can stay awake for the entire game and enjoy the win in real time.

Also, is it dulcimer or dulcet?

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Same etymology, so both work.

For the Master, it was dulcet tones every evening.

BTR999 said...

My first thought is we should be playing Cleveland or Chicago - we have the 2nd best record in the league and it seems we are being penalized for it.

I’m a lot less confident playing Tampa, I expect the games to be close. We’ll go as far as our pitching carries us. But I don’t expect to win this series. Hope I’m wrong. But close games put the outcome in boone’s hands and that’s trouble waiting to happen.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Paraphrasing Griffin from men in black, with Bonehead Boone anything is possible. Hoping Mikey Glassman is not on the roster so that will take away one of Boone's tools to throw the game.

Hoping for the best. Expecting the worst. As LBJ said, Saturday is key.