Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Slip Slidin' Away

Oh, Mets.

Even after Sunday night's heartbreaking loss to the Dodgers, the Mets weren't in such terrible shape. They had got through their 25-game skein against contenders and division leaders at 13-12, which isn't awful.

From now on, though, they are not scheduled to play any team over .500 until the last series of the year against an Atlanta team that will have already clinched everything there is to clinch.

10 straight against Colorado, Cincinnati, and Miami, and then Atlanta.  Sure, the Mets were 4 games out of the second Wild Card Play-In spot after Sunday.

But these last 13 games should've been like the last sprint to the finish line after finishing all the hurdles.  It's often the place where a team can pick up ground, particularly when the other teams are playing tough opponents.

Nope.

Instead, out at Coors Field, the Mets got off to a 4-1 lead against a pitcher with a 6.83 ERA, but couldn't score again.  Meanwhile, Steven Matz gave up six runs in an inning AFTER there were two out.

Two of the runs scored on a 1-2 pitch to the same pitcher, who was 0-44 at the plate.  He hit a two-run single to tie the game.

How Mets.

Well, in the era of zombie baseball, they still aren't out of it.  But they are now 5 game out of a Wild Card slot with just 12 to go.  It's not dark yet, but it's gettin' there.


10 comments:

JM said...

What are these "Mets" of which you write, sir? I am not familiar with the term.

Anonymous said...

GOODBYE METSIES!

I LOVE THESE CHRONICLES HOSS!

KEEP EM COMING!

13bit said...

Grief made the young Spring wild, and she threw down
Her kindling buds, as if she Autumn were,
Or they dead leaves; since her delight is flown,
For whom should she have waked the sullen year?

~PBS

Rufus T. Firefly said...

The other day, my wife asked me if there were lyrics to the Yankee theme song. So, I had to go and find it on youtube. There were several suggestions on next video that were variations on "Beat the Mets". She asked "why would there be those kind of theme songs?" I told her: "Because, Mets."

TheWinWarblist said...

How Mets. Exactly.



How Hal. How you miserly fucker.

Platoni said...

For years the only time I thought of the Mets was when I had a dent in my fender and was looking for somewhere cheap and shady to fix it (and pocketing the rest of the insurance check). Looming over that automobile themed shanty town with walls adorned with hubcaps, the stadium seemed pathetic in its self-importance.

This blog has changed all that. Now I alternate between laughing at that franchise's miserable wretchedness and feeling bad for laughing at miserable wretches.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Don't feel too bad, Platoni. The Mets deep-sixed all those old-school, family car-repair businesses out there, anticipating the Wilpons' huge new development on Willets Point.

They had elaborate plans and artists' renderings all done up. Condos, high-end shops, a marina...it was going to be Hudson Yards in Queens.

Then...a judge ruled that this was public land, and it can't be sold (or in this case, given away) without an act of the state legislature. Which the state legislature ain't about to put its fingerprints on.

So, the whole development is in limbo. Because...Mets.

HoraceClarke66 said...

13bit, what's that poetry from? Love it!

13bit said...

Shelley - “Adonais”

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.