Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Houston is not all it's cracked up to be.

 


Well, down goes the Shining City in the Swamp.  RIP, Houston.

Hey, I kid, I kid.  I've never been there, and I can still remember how, back in 1986, the assembled populace gave your New York Mets quite a shellacking at some bar. So nothing against the city.

But the Astros...(And why AREN'T they "the Astronauts"?)

Anyway, the former Colt .45's went down to defeat with many eulogies being sung by the official MLB broadcast crew. Bologna, sez me.

First off, the Stros managed to lose a key, seven-game playoff series for the second time in six seasons, WITHOUT WINNING A SINGLE GAME AT HOME.

How the hell is that even possible? But it's true. The Astros also dropped the 2019 World Series, you'll recall, against the Washington Nationals, who weren't even playing the mysteriously vanished Joe Hardy.

The real Houston.


 Beyond that, though, let's examine the late, unlamented Astros "dynasty":

—2017-2019:  One ring, two pennants, three ALCS...all thanks to rampant, under-punished cheating.

—2020:  A Covid season loss in the ALCS. To Tampa Bay. On a neutral field.

—2021-2023:  Two more pennants, one ring. One more ALCS.

That's it. Take away the garbage cans and the hidden wires, and whattaya got? Two trips to the World Series and one Manfred Mann trophy. 

Hurrah. 








10 comments:

Celerino Sanchez said...

Is that a Manfred Mann Earth Band trophy or Pretty Flamingo ERA Manfred Mann? Also it looks like the Mighty Casey has struck out.

Doug K. said...

I've been to Houston. It's my least favorite city in the US.

The Hammer of God said...

Spot on, Hoss!

Two championships in six years, a so called dinnasty! What a load of hog wash!

No team with a losing record at home ever made it to the World Series. That record still stands. That's what I'm taking away from this year's shennanigans.

And our 2023 New York Yankees put them ASS-stros in that position by beating them, sweeping them in three straight in early September, led by The Martian and Austin Wells. That was our 2023 World Series humble pie. Hoo-Hah!

The Hammer of God said...

I think Casey decided to pack his bags and get the hell out of Dodge before all the idiots here drove him bat shit crazy. He must've decided that it ain't worth it.

"The bull shit piled up so high in [Yankee Wonderland] that you needed wings to stay above it." Captain Casey Willard, Apocalypse Now.

Doug K. said...

Maybe Casey didn't want to come back because he was told on the down low that his best friend Boone is about to get the ax.

Hey a fella can dream...

The Hammer of God said...

@ Doug K., I hope so too, because that moron Boone has got to go. And hopefully the new manager brings in all his own coaches.

But I'm not holding my breath. Other than Sean Casey (very intelligently) running away from this disaster, it looks like this winter will be like just about every winter since the 2009 championship. Nothing significant will happen. No big turnover. No big trades. No big changes in front office. No manager change. Not even a pitching coach change. Nothing.

The Hammer of God said...

And Sean Casey leaving will, almost without doubt, bring in a new hitting coach who is as clueless as Dillon Lawson. We're doomed. Doomed.

JM said...

Mighty Casey has struck out. Bring in the next guy who can't fight the stupidity of the analytics gang.

AboveAverage said...

“I’m not gonna be able to come back next year,” Casey said, per Chris Kirschner of The Athletic, “because I have my two daughters at home. I think getting divorced a few years ago — I have those girls 50 percent of the time. I just can’t imagine being away for 8 months.” He also said, per Greg Joyce of The New York Post, “There was no offer made, but I do think I could have come back had I wanted to. That time right now is not perfect for me. We’ll see what happens in the next few years here.”

HoraceClarke66 said...

Great Apocalypse Now quote, Hammer!