Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Nick Johnson stokes controversy with questionable at-bat song

Nick Johnson, who seemed like a nice man, has revealed a side that we hoped to avoid.

His sashaying up-to-bat song bite: Party in the USA.

Judge the lyrics for yourself and ask: IS THIS A YANKEE?:



I hopped off the plane at LAX
with a dream and my cardigan
welcome to the land of fame excess, (woah)
am I gonna fit in?



(Question: What the hell is Nick Johnson doing in a cardigan?)

Jumped in the cab,
Here I am for the first time
Look to the right and I see the Hollywood sign
This is all so crazy

(How crazy is Nick Johnson?)

Everybody seems so famous
My tummys turnin and I'm feelin kinda home sick
Too much pressure and I'm nervous,
That's when the taxi man turned on the radio

(Anyone who has seen Nick Johnson's tummy does not want to imagine it turning.)

and a Jay Z song was on
and the Jay Z song was on
and the Jay Z song was on

So I put my hands up

They're playing my song,
And the butterflys fly away
Noddin' my head like yeah
Moving my hips like yeah,
And I got my hands up,
They're playin my song
I know I'm gonna be ok
Yeah, It's a party in the USA
Yeah, It's a party in the USA

(Does anyone want to see Nick Johnson moving his hips like yeah?)

Get to the club in my taxi cab
Everybody's lookin at me now
Like “whos that chick, thats rockin' kicks?
She gotta be from out of town”

(?)

So hard with my girls not around me
Its definitely not a Nashville party
Cause' all I see are stilletos
I guess I never got the memo

(All I see are stilletos? Is this the Yankee clubhouse?)

My tummys turnin and I'm feelin kinda home sick
Too much pressure and I'm nervous
That's when the D.J. dropped my favorite tune
and a Britney song was on
and the Britney song was on
and the Britney song was on

(I wish a Britney song was on.)

5 comments:

Bye Bye Balboni said...

Dudes, cut the guy some slack. He claims his 4-year-old daughter picked it as his at-bat song. Now, if it turns out he doesn't have a daughter, or if she really wanted him to play some AC/DC when he strolled to the dish, that's another story. But hey, he says it's for his daughter, and that's good enough for me.

The Ghost of Scott Brosius said...

Damn, I had $20 bucks on Swisher being the first Yankee who would try to rock a Miley Cyrus song as his at-bat music.

el duque said...

He's hiding behind his kid. That's the worst yet.

Bye Bye Balboni said...

Personally, Duque, I think it takes guts to play that song. And as long as he's drawing those walks and hustling in his slow, inelegant way on the basepaths, he can play whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned. As long as it's not Jewel. Damn, I hate Jewel.

Joe DePastry said...

The Palm Beach Post said, in an April 9 article, that Curtis Maybin of the Marlins uses this song. Maybe Miley is more popular than we think she is. Is she 18 yet? Just asking; no particular reason.