Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Open Letter to Brian Cashman: Buy, don't trade

Dear Madam or Sir:

I've waited 50 years for the New York Yankees to build a solid farm system and actually harvest it... instead of treating our young players like Pogs in a swap meet.
Today, we're on the verge of growing our own. So let's do it. Let's hold our cards and see what the hell happens.

Last week, news trickled from the Winter Meetings in Dallas that White Sox GM Kenny Williams tried to deal us pitcher John Danks in exchange for Jesus Montero, Manny Bannelos and Dellin Betances.

All I want in life is 10 feet of open space between myself and the next GM who insults us with such an offer.

Had I been there, as Williams flapped the flipper on his pig fat mouf, the nearest wall would have grown a tunnel. I call my left fist "Jeet" and my right fist "Mo." And nobody talks trashy deals without receiving a noodlegram from my forehead, "Claudell."

Hell, let Chicago trade Danks to Boston for a pocket comb and the lice that still clings to it. Next year, he's a free agent. Next year, if we want him, we'll buy him.
Then there's Oakland's Gio Gonzalez, who is Dellin Betances in two years. Why trade the 2013 Gio Gonzalez for the 2011 Dellin Betances? If  GM Billy "Moneyballs" Beane wants to hang a Yankee scalp next to his Oscar, the hell with him. He can do Brad Pitt's laundry for a year, but he still won't catch a glimpse of Angelina Jolie - and he won't get Jesus Montero. 

No trading youth, OK? No trades with nobody. Let's play the kids and see what happens. I've waited 50 years for a farm system. We have one. Let's use it. Let's grow our own.

No comments: