Monday, December 23, 2019

BAD DEAL AMBER ALERT: The Yankees may actually trade Miguel Andujar

Whenever Cooperstown Cashman is asked to name the worst trade of his front office career, he replies: Mike Lowell for Ed Yarnall, Mark Johnson and Todd Noel. (Question: Can you spot the Christmas wordplay?) The atrocity happened in November 1997, a few weeks after the Yankees signed Scott Brosius, making the 23-year-old Lowell an afterthought.

An afterthought who haunted us for the next 13 years. 


Lowell remains the best 3B the Yankee farm system has developed in modern times... that is, maybe, until Miguel Andujar. Gulp.


So, will we repeat Cashmanic history?


I ask because virtually every rumor mill these days has the Death Star dangling the 25-year-old Andujar in trade talks, sticking with Gio Urshela at 3B. I believe this stems from Cashman's psychological need to put his personal scent on the team, perhaps in the form of reliever Josh Hader. Also, I get the reasoning: The Yankees don't right now have a position for Andujar, another RH hitter. 


But there's a reason why other teams covet Andujar, and I'm hereby sounding the "BAD DEAL AMBER ALERT" Emergency Broadcast Alarm. The National Yankee Weather Service has detected the atmospheric conditions for a disastrous deal. Wherever you are, take precautions. Cover your genitals and find shelter. 


This I know: 


Whatever we get for Andujar in a trade - it doesn't matter - we will regret the deal for the next 10 years. 


It doesn't matter whether Andujar plays 3B, as I believe he can do, or moves to the OF. He will remain one of the game's premier hitters. 


If we trade him, the move will haunt us. 


Now, I must note that the Yankees won three rings with Brosius, and they came within a hump-back fly of a fourth - thanks to his incredibly clutch HR against the Diamondbacks' Byung-Hyun Kim in the 2001 World Series. Also, Urshela came out of nowhere last year to become a linchpin of the Yankees. I get the reasoning behind a trade.


But I would sure like to see Andujar make some plays in spring training before the Yankees decide he cannot play 3B, and trade him somewhere as a hitter without a position. If Andujar can play 3B, Urshela can move to 2B, or anywhere, taking the role that DJ LeMahiue perfected in 2019. And if the Yankees trade Andujar, they will suddenly be thin at the infield. 


Look, I try not to get involved with trade talks, because - basically - the devil is in the details. Certainly, some trades are better than others. For example, wouldn't it feel great if the Yankees could trade Andujar for - say - three can't-miss prospects? That would look good, right?


Because it looked good in 1997. And I hope Cashman remembers. 

12 comments:

TheWinWarblist said...

What the fuck were the Giants doing yesterday? A feel good Xmas pageant!?

JM said...

The Miggy rumors fit right into my theory of stupidity for this offseason. Get Cole, but jettison Didi, Romine...Miggy? In other words, do one very good thing and follow it up with stupid moves that weaken the team and neutralize the Cole signing.

These guys are nothing if not great at stupid.

13bit said...

Didi, Romine and Miggy, JM, were almost the heart and soul of the 2019 team. Didi, I can understand, although i did not approve of it. Romine was too much to bear, but Miggy would be A TOTAL AND COMPLETE FUCKING DISASTER.

Reverting to form, that herpes-addled, syphilitic anal-pus-running Cashman. FUCK YOU, BRIAN.

ranger_lp said...

My take is that they look at the data and Miggy bat production is more than Didi's at a cheaper price. I don't think Miggy is going anywhere.

In another story...

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1208160975884607488/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1208160975884607488&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1882425%26start%3D1840

No wonder we had injury issues...our strength and conditioning coach needed to do some pushaways...from the dinner table...

Anonymous said...


I can never understand why there seems to be an unwritten rule that the DH should be an ageing former star on the down side or his career who they hope the magic of the pinstripes will restore his former glory. No more EEs. No more 35+ year old DHs.

Here is what they should do...

Let's say the Yankees play 6 games a week.

3B

Urshala 5
Miggy 1

LF

Stanton 3
Tauchman 3

CF

Gardner 4
Tauchman 2


DH

Miggy 3
Stanton 2
Gary 1

So Urshala plays 5/6 and gets a day off.
Miggy plays 4/6 and gets two days off
Stanton plays 5/6 and gets a day off.
Gardner play 4/6 and gets two days off
Tauchman plays 5/6 and gets a day off.
Sanchez plays 5/6 and gets a day off. (plus a DH day)

Until someone gets hurt.

Doug K.


TheWinWarblist said...

Oh bitty, it's like you're speaking straight to my own heart!




Oh fa-la-la-fuck-you-Brian-and-Hal-and-Randy-too-la-lala-lala-lala!!

Carl J. Weitz said...

As I stated earlier, Andujar might become another super DH in the mold of Edgar Martinez. I think the Yankees can at least envision that possibility.

Also, I understand why he might not ever become Brooks Robinson at third base because of they way he moves his feet. I think he is more worried about reaction time with his glove and body at third base. He really isn't a bad fielder and his throws from third base were erratic because he rushed them. He is still learning that position and it hasn't become muscle memory yet. And at third it might never be. But I do think that at second base he could be at least average to above average. Perhap even thrive. I see similarities in him and Cano. When Jogginson first came up, he had trouble with his range to his right. I believe it was his footwork as well. he hadn't learned his glide. Then his glide made him look nonchalant or lazy because it was so effortless. Playing back at second would allow him to relax, field the ball and learn the pivot. I believe Andujar has some decent experience in the minors at second and short. Ideally, I think he might be best situated as a first baseman. He does have quick reflexes, a decent glove and would only have to worry about moving to his right. It would also free up The General to play his natural gold glove position.

But the bottom line, Miguel is way too good as a hitter and could prove to be versatile multi-position asset for the Yankees.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Amen, Duque!

We've written before about how Coops is a bad poker player. Here is another proof. He rushes to move—to bet, to get new cards, etc., before he has any idea of how the situation lies.

All of us who have followed the game for years know how little can be assumed in baseball.

WILL Gio be the hitter he suddenly was for most of last year? Maybe, maybe not. WILL Stanton, our vaunted DH, be able to play even 10 games next year? Maybe, maybe not. Will Voit rebound? Is Ford for real? Will Tauchman return to hit like he did last year?

The wise GM knows of all these unknowns, and waits to see how things shake out—at least in spring training.

Coops, instead, acts as though he will be penalized, somehow, if he keeps an "extra" player around, no matter how valuable.

He is also, as we know, a terrible judge of talent on his own. He ditched Lowell not only because he had Brosius but because he KNEW that Drew Henson was going to be a big star...something a woman Ph.D. candidate writing sports for the Voice at the time was deriding regularly in that publication.

But that's the thing. He never learns from experience what he doesn't know.

Alphonso said...

We are all still stunned and inoperative at the news of Cole becoming a Yankee. We are not thinking straight. Or, at all.

I agree that Cash should go underground until he can see clearly, at spring training. Let him spend January at some bar in Nashville. Maybe he can get lucky again ( was that her name?)

Andujar will surprise to the upside. I am praying it is as a left fielder. And remain capable of backing up at third.

I believe Gio is the real deal.

I believe in Santa Claus.

I believe in Gentleman Jack.

I believe in the Cracker Jack.

I am writing from the Silver Hill rehabilitation center.....Santa Monica branch.

Merry everything to everyone.

Anonymous said...

I hope the Andujar trade rumors are wrong. We'll be trading the wrong hitter. Even if we have to give away Stanton, the mere absence of a blind man in our lineup will make our offense much better during clutch situations. Who would you rather see at the plate in a clutch situation during the playoffs, Andujar or Stanton? And like HoraceClarke66 has repeatedly said, how do we know Stanton will even be available to play? If we play the percentages, Stanton will certainly get hurt and miss at least 100 games, maybe even the whole season once again. Gio will probably revert to a lesser hitter. Voit will have problems striking out against fastballs up and in. And if we have traded Andujar, where does that leave us? I don't want to see any more Edwin Encarnacion DH types here. That was a mistake last year to get EE. We could have done just as well or better with Clint Frazier as DH. From what I have seen, Andujar is going to be a great hitter. Can you say Edgar Martinez?

Donna said...

Hello everyone.  I want to share my amazing experience with the great spell caster Dr Mark my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead him filling for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about Dr Mark and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted Dr Mark and he told me not to worry that after 24 hours he will cancel the divorce and my husband will be back to me after I did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Dr Mark you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you. contact Dr Mark through his email address on: blessedlovetemple@gmail.com

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.