Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Who Remembers The Gulf Of Tonkin Incident?



I want to remind you all that what you hear is not always accurate.  Sometimes, it is language artfully crafted to deceive.  Or to placate.  And such communications always takes place in secret.

The truth is:  There was no Gulf of Tonkin incident, initiated by the Vietnamese.
And yet, the report of a sea-based attack on the USS Maddox was sufficient to initiate our deep involvement in the Vietnam war.

What you are hearing about the Yankees, and their grand offer to Gerrit Cole, bears careful monitoring. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I am suggesting that Hal may already know that it is not enough.

Hal wants to"appear"on our side.  That he is defending Yankee history and legacy. That he is the USS Steinbrenner in this case.

He wants us to think he did all he could, but was was viciously attacked and outgunned.  In the dark of night so to speak.  By underhanded, cowardly "hit and run" artists.

And Cole will land an egregious contract. He will never live up to it.

But he will not be wearing pinstripes.

The con is already in.

Don't believe that Hal is the good guy here.

6 comments:

TheWinWarblist said...

Who exactly are you accusing of thinking Hal is a "good guy?"

13bit said...

Alphonso, I'm with you.

And I think that when you grow up in Yonkers, you learn at an early age that:

1. The fix is ALWAYS in
2. Good guys never win
3. BOHICA

Some of us made it out. The rest moved north and a few are still behind the wall.

Anonymous said...

ALPHONSO ALWAYS HAS HIS HAND ON THE PULSE...

RIGHT ON THE BUTTON ABOUT HAL, HE WANTS TO LOOK LIKE THE "GOOD GUY", EARNEST IN HIS DEALINGS.

...BUT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT, AND HE KNOWS IT.

IT'S CHECKBOOK WAR HERE, AND WHOEVER BLINKS FIRST IS OUT.

HAL IS ALMOST READY TO BLINK.

Anonymous said...

"Who Remembers The Gulf Of Tonkin Incident?"

Was that the one where the Riders of Rohan faked an orc attack on the good folk of Gondor in order to convince the dwarves and eleves that Sauron was preparing to destroy them?

Doug K.

Alphonso said...

It was the last missile of negative Ju-Ju remaining in our arsenal.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.