Thursday, December 26, 2019

"You Shall Find the Babe in a Fenway": A Hundred Years Ago Today

It came upon a midnight clear
That glorious Babe of old
From Ruppert bending near the earth
To open his purse of gold...

That's right, boys and girls:  it is the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Big Bang of the Yankiverse, the most marvelous event in our glorious history.

On this day exactly one hundred years ago, December 26, 1919, Harry Frazee sold George Herman "Babe" Ruth to the New York Yankees for $100,000, or the equivalent of about $1.5 million today.

Frazee, the Red Sox owner but primarily a ruthless Broadway producer—then exponentially bigger money than major-league baseball—claimed he had to do it, telling sportswriters:

"While Ruth is undoubtedly the greatest hitter the world has ever seen, he is likewise one of the most selfish and inconsiderate men ever to put on a baseball uniform."

Uh-huh.

This was so much Broadway palaver, of course.  From 1919-1922, Frazee would also trade catcher Wally Schang, shortstop Everett Scott, third baseman "Jumpin' Joe" Dugan, outfielder Duffy Lewis, and pitchers Dutch Leonard, Ernie Shore, Waite Hoyt, Herb Pennock, Carl Mays, George Pipgras, "Sad Sam" Jones," and "Bullet Joe" Bush to the Yankees as well.  They must have been selfish and inconsiderate, too.

Usually, of course, there was a large cash stipend attached, as well as some loans on the side.  At one point, the Yankee colonels, Ruppert and Huston, were holding the mortgage on Fenway Park as collateral.

Contrary to popular wisdom, Frazee did not use the money he got for Ruth to finance the musical No, No Nanette, but the play it was based on, My Lady Friends.  He made a bundle on both.

After dismantling the Red Sox' championship club, Frazee sold out to an under-financed, Midwestern ownership group for another $1.2 million—twice what he had bought the Sox for, just six years before—thereby ensuring the Sox would be awful for another decade.  Then he happily attended the opening of Yankee Stadium as a guest of Ruppert.

Now that's the kind of Red Sox owner we can all love!

"Peace in the Bronx, good will to men"
From Heaven's all gracious Babe
The world in solemn stillness lay
To watch the Bambino play...










4 comments:

JM said...

A great, heartwarming story that's perfect for the holidays. Thanks, Hoss, for taking us back to a time when the Sox ownership was the kind of dick Hal can only approach but never match or exceed.

HoraceClarke66 said...

You're welcome! And yes, there's nothing like breaking out a nice brandy, providing some marshmallows for the tots, and all gathering 'round a roaring fire to hear stories of the magical days of yore, when other franchises went up in smoke to fuel the rise of the Yankees.

Ah, bliss!

Donna said...

Hello everyone.  I want to share my amazing experience with the great spell caster Dr Mark my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead him filling for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about Dr Mark and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted Dr Mark and he told me not to worry that after 24 hours he will cancel the divorce and my husband will be back to me after I did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Dr Mark you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you. contact Dr Mark through his email address on: blessedlovetemple@gmail.com

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.