Friday, May 24, 2024

As Luis Gil dominates, the Yankees wonder: How high, how far, how long?

 If John Sterling were still calling history - (saddest aspect of 2024: The Master might be missing a genuine Yankee resurgence) - he would have rejoiced over the phenomenon of Luis Gil, referred to as "Luis the Magnificent" in a postgame YES graphic yesterday. 

John never conceived a pitching equivalent to his Homer Howls, but he sure could swoon over "another great job by Joba!" or "Mariano the Great!" or any Yank - from Betances to Shreve - who might coax a DP grounder with the bases full. 

Gil - currently 3rd in the AL in ERA - would have given John cause to celebrate an infrequent solar event: 

A breakout Yankee pitcher, up from the farms, shocking the world. 

In fact, our rotation now boasts three: Gil, Clarke Schmidt and Nestor Cortes - each developed through a lengthy seasoning process that included pizza steaks in Wilkes Barre. Each could end up pitching in the 2024 All-Star game. And, considering the reality of the modern game, each could be gone by then.

At any time, a pitcher can feel a tweak and disappear. Chad Green felt one. Frankie Montas felt one. Scott Effross felt one. On the modern staff, there is only one certainty: There is no such thing as certainty.  

Which begs the question:  

How far can Gil go? 

Short answer: Dunno. Nobody does. My guess is that the Yankees will do what they always do: Ride this horse while it can run. 

You can't blame them. On June 3, Gil will turn 26. This is his prime, and it's been a long time coming. In 2018, the Yankees traded Jake Cave to get him, and until now, it looked as though Minnesota got the better of the deal. But Gil always looked, well,  interesting. In 2021, he became the first pitcher in MLB history to record scoreless starts in his first three outings. (Overall, 15.2 innings.) Two years ago - May 2022 - he tweaked his elbow and went bye-bye. Tommy John. Last week, he broke Orlando Hernandez' record of 14 strikeouts in one game, the highest for a Yankee rookie. Ironically, El Duque threw out the ceremonial first pitch in that game. The juju gods have a thing for this guy.

So, what do we have, and can we keep it? 

Of course, everything revolves around Gerrit Cole, who might return in June. That would be a huge boost for a pitching staff that - at least in the bullpen - seems to be fraying. (Will Clay Holmes ever pitch another 1-2-3 inning?) It's pointless to ponder a six-man rotation. Surely, by mid-June, one of the Yankee starters will be struggling or hurt. 

I'm not sure he qualifies as "Luis the Magnificent," but right now, with or without Cole, Gil is the pitcher I'd want starting Game One. And the Yankees better not abuse him.

20 comments:

13bit said...

Ain’t No Sunshine when John’s gone..

TheWinWarblist said...

The amazing thing is that Gil is only 6th in ERA amongst AL starting pitchers.

AboveAverage said...

And I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, hey,
I ought to leave the Yankees alone
‘Cause there ain’t no sunshine when John’s gone

ranger_lp said...

There's more arms in the farm system...we're less likely to sign a free agent pitcher considering all the injuries pitchers get now...oh, and we're drafting more this year like every other year...

BTR999 said...

Gil has been outstanding, He may have been pitching a no-hitter yesterday if Volpe had cleanly fielded that ground ball. (Did he really win a Gold Glove last year? He is far from the best fielding SS in the league) Of particular is his innings count. He is currently on pace to throw approx 170 innings after missing most of the last 3 seasons. Needs to be monitored.

Jaraxle said...

I’m gonna throw this out there and then duck: Gil becomes closer next year when they don’t want to pay Holmes and goes on to be the lockdown closer we haven’t had since Mariano

Publius said...

I was an advocate of turning Sevy into a closer, or at least a high leverage bullpen arm, in the midst of all the injuries. But...big but...if he stays healthy he could be the Yankees Pedro (little guy, big arm, bigger balls) we've long dreamed of.

BTR999 said...

Jar; that’s certainly not outside of the range of possibilities. Steincrumber is already crying poverty, so if he does make a run at Soto, people like Holmes, Rizzo, Torres, Verdugo, and Kahnle will be gone. Who could close? Hamilton ?

Let’s (hopefully) enjoy the season, but the off-season is going to be a very bumpy ride.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

It's MAY people!

Let's not count our chickens before they cross the road. Or something like that. After all, there is a lot of baseball still to be played this season and a lot of juju to be dispensed by the gods.

JM said...

"More Arms on the Farm" (1949) A big league manager (Paul Douglas) frets the sad state of his team's injury -riddled pitching staff, until an angel (Ida Lupino) tells him that every pitcher in their minor league system will be no-hit stars. With William Bendix as The Beaver.

AboveAverage said...

Lettuce eat Lettuce

Doug K. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doug K. said...

More Arms on the Farm 2 - First Strike (2024)

An "Independence League" team from Western Idaho decides to add weapons training to their usual baseball drills. Led by their manager, a former Navy Seal, (Scott Baio) and encouraged by their owner (Mike Lindell)they plan to join and take over the Pacific Coast League by any means necessary.

ranger_lp said...

Doug...the sequel is never as good as the original..lol..

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Just noticed the end of balt-chisox last night. More horrible umpiring. Laughably, autocorrect tried to change it to impaired. Both are correct.

13bit said...

Some powerful KoolAde y’all guzzling…

HoraceClarke66 said...

AA, Doug K., JM—you guys are en fuego!

Meanwhile, the Rangers make (another) last stand tonight. You'd think after a stirring, four-goals-in-the-last-period comeback, they would NOT come out flat in their next game.

But...that's our Rangers.

TheWinWarblist said...

Glug glug glug!

13bit said...

Doug - Amarcord TV Guide

Kevin said...

13bit and AA, your duet was beautiful! 😂