Sunday, May 10, 2020

White Sox great Carlton Fisk voted all-time IT IS HIGH Yankee opponent at catcher


Congratulations to Carlton Fisk, the great Chicago White Sox catcher, who has been elected to the all-time IT IS HIGH Opponents Team.

Over his 24-year career, Fisk hit .265 against the Yankees with 31 HRs, in 215 games. (His lifetime average: .269.) He played 1,421 games with Chicago and - as a footnote - 1,078 games in Boston. 

Here are the vote totals (276 over all):

Carlton Fisk (80 ballots): 29%
Ivan Rodriguez (41): 15%
Roy Campanella (31): 11%
Johnny Bench (27): 10%
Lance Parrish (26): 9%
Jason Varitek (25): 9%
Joe Mauer (25): 9%
Bill Freehan (21): 8%

Obviously, Fisk should have been a Yankee. He would have been an excellent backup for Thurman Munson. But it could have easily happened. 

Fisk was drafted by Boston in the first round - the fourth selection overall - of the 1967 January draft. This was when the Yankees were among the worst teams in baseball, by far, and thus had earned the second pick in the draft.

With that pick, they selected a LH junior college pitcher named Michael Flanagan. They failed to sign him. Later, Flanagan was drafted by the Cubs and climbed as far as Double A, before retiring from baseball in 1971.

By the way, with the following first round pick - sandwiched between Flanagan and Fisk - the Mets selected Ken Singleton. Yes, the Yankees could have chosen Singleton or Fisk... Imagine the difference over the next 20 years.

Excuse me, while I go soak my head in a bucket of ice-water.

(Next up: Leftfielders. And don't forget to read Hoss' amazing coverage of the 2020 virtual season.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As for Left Fielders, it's either Yaz or Williams. Both make me grind my teeth.

Everyone else who I consider great was basically in the NL and shouldn't count. Like Rose, Brock, Musial, Stargell etc. And then we have over-rated players like Jim Rice. Jim Rice doesn't belong in the HOF.

I guess maybe Manny Ramirez from the modern era but he was on too many different teams to really count in my book and he was more of a jerk than a stud.

It's really down to Yaz and Williams, depending on how old you are to have seen either play.

HoraceClarke66 said...

I think these elections are revealing a whole new Yankee villain: Lee MacPhail.

He always seemed like such a somber gentleman. He supposedly built up the Orioles, and you had to feel sorry for him, having to put up with the insane father.

Now...

He seems to have made draft picks by throwing darts.



Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.