Saturday, July 29, 2023

Is Aaron Judge the Patrick Ewing of baseball?

 

My friend James, the Yankees superfan from SoCal, tells me that of all 50 guys named to the NBA's 50 best players on the league's 50th anniversary, Patrick Ewing is the only one who never played with another Hall of Famer.

I don't know if this is true, but James is very adamant in his opinions, and he knows people in his business who would be happy to kneecap me if I disagree, so I am willing to accept it. I was also a Patrick fan, and it did seem to me that Mr. Ewing got all sorts of unfair grief over the Knicks' failure to go all the way, even to the point of being blamed for John Starks' infamous Game 7, as if Pat Riley had somehow dematerialized from the Knicks' bench.

But I digress.

The point is that I fear a sad, similar fate for our own big man, Aaron Judge. Frankly, I am very glad he signed again with the Bronx team, for if he had not there would be virtually no one to watch on this sad collection of stumblebums. 

But if Judge did so with any hope of ever winning a World Series...he was nuts. 

Had he signed with the revivified Giants—now three games out of first place—he might have had a better chance. He might even have had someone to knock him in—someone such as Thairo Estrada, the doughty little Yankee who Cashman traded for a bag of cash because, after all, the Steinbrenners so desperately need more money that they are willing to put up "This space for rent" signs on the sacred pinstripes.

As previously noted, in the almost eerie coincidence of their careers, nearly 60 years ago to the day, 31-year-old Mickey Mantle returned from missing 61 games after taking on a cantankerous fence and breaking his foot, and pinch-hit a three-run homer to help the Yanks pull out a win over the Orioles.

Judge, also 31, returning from 42 games out after contesting ground with another fence, returned against the Orioles...to walk three times, and there remain, stranded on first.

I should have mentioned that the Yankees won Mantle's return game by 11-10, implying that there were a few other people on the team displaying basic competence with a bat. 

There were. Namely, the MVP at catcher, the all-time greatest catcher who was his back-up, two-time MVP Roger Maris in the outfield, Tommy Tresh, Johnny Blanchard, etc., etc. That 1963 Yankees team could do many things well, boasting three Gold Gloves in the infield and a pitching staff that went rucketing through the AL, with Whitey Ford (24-7, 2.74), Jim Bouton (21-7, 2.53), Al Downing (13-5, 2.56), Bill Terry (17-15, 3.22), and Stan Williams (9-8, 3.21).

In the end, they finished with 104 wins, 10 1/2 games ahead of the competition.

Brian Cashman is never going to put together such a team. Or anything vaguely resembling it.

That win over the Orioles in 1963 put the Yanks 9 games ahead of the third-place Birds. The loss last night puts our fifth-and-last-place boys 9 games behind them.  

More than coincidence?

The world has turned on its axis, and now we're down where we once were up, and figure to be there for a long time. Eventually, this will be blamed on Judge himself, as it was on Ewing, which is a shame, but at least the big man will be well-compensated.



 



28 comments:

The Hammer of God said...

Didn't the Friars offer 40 mill X ten years for 400 mill total? They are also out of it, but if Judge had joined them, I think they're knocking on the door.

I guess Judge decided that he was risk averse and that staying put was better for his career than taking a chance and leaving for a little more money. I say "a little more money", but if he'd seriously negotiated with those other teams on the west coast, he might have gotten a 450 million dollar deal. Which would be a good deal more than the 360 for nine years that he got here.

I would love to know if he really wants to win a championship before he retires and if he really thought that staying here was the best chance of winning one. Was it a case of being too close to the situation and being blinded by familiarity? Or was he just toying with those teams on the coast and using them to try to drive up his price here, intending to stay here all along, win or lose?

I think it was the latter. If I was him, I'd have gone for the best chance of winning one before retiring, which would have meant leaving. But that's just me.

Doug K. said...

Hoss -

It's an interesting take but as you know a great player on a basketball team has far more influence on whether a team wins or loses than one on a baseball team. Even a lights out pitcher who throws complete game shutouts can only win one game every five days.

The Gammonites assured us that Hal promised Judge that he would put together a winner and invest more money. Sadly, he did. I say sadly because he let Brian do it and this is the sorriest Yankee team I have ever seen. And I'm fucking old!

I enjoyed the read and it was much better than my attempt to liken the team to the final season of The Love Boat. (Even though it really is!)

Vampifella said...

I'm pretty sure CC will be a HOFmer although I don't feel his stats are really good enough to be in there. People simply adore the guy. But hitter wise, no HOFers just yet.

AboveAverage said...

Judge is in Right Field for today’s game.

Hmmmmm?

I don’t know if I’m happily in sync with that decision.

The Archangel said...

CC's shine came off for me when I saw that he lost like 60lbs AFTER he retired.
He should have been in better shape when he pitched, although I understand his alcohol demons.

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

I might have been a short white kid, but I had a pair of Ewing hitops. I think they had a little basketball you’d pump up. Totally wasted on me.

What sort of Aaron Judge products can I buy? I need something.

BTR999 said...

I’m ok with Judge playing the OF. it’s really now or never for this team and I’m firmly on the aide of never. Want to sit somebody? Sit Stanton or Rizzo or both. Judge will probably sit tomorrow anyway, or the girls in analytics will have a case of the vapors.

Everything quiet on the trade front for the team today. It seems if anything gets done it will me M-Tu and it will probably be Randal Upchuk for middling prospects. Expect another mid-level reliever as well. Maybe Andy Bummer from the ChiSox, they seem to be trading everyone on the team. Upchuk and Bummer. What could be more apropos?

Hard to see the team winning tonight, but maybe the breaks go our way, and Schmidt, who’s been good lately, gives us six decent innings.

AboveAverage said...

Stanton Goes Camden!

AboveAverage said...

twenty for judge

ranger_lp said...

How many games they won with Stanton and Judge homering?

AboveAverage said...

MaxZer to Texas Rangers

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

I love Aaron. We need a song.

https://youtu.be/1UJPmdL9T10

ranger_lp said...

Higgy!!!

Stang said...

The Higgy game

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

The occasional home run poke-ah!

ranger_lp said...

Wow!!

AboveAverage said...

Kinda Kiner - to the Kornah!

AboveAverage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AboveAverage said...

In other words - a clutch bases clearing double

ranger_lp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ranger_lp said...

Yankees Win!!!

BTR999 said...

Eureka!

I do love a quick 9th inning

HoraceClarke66 said...

Yeah, Max Scherzer to Texas for a Double-A infielder.

There was another guy who Cashie might have bid on three different times—and passed on every time.

He alone probably would have meant 4-5 rings.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks, Doug—and I loved the Love Boat piece!

Yeah, CC might make the Hall. Also, maybe Cole with a few more years like this one. But yeah, the point is the talent around him not being enough.

Unless things change fast, it never will be.

HoraceClarke66 said...

And Archie, I feel much the same about CC.

I'll always love him for 2009. But yeah, there was the year he had to deal with his alcohol just in time for the playoffs, and then losing all the wait...after retiring.

Hey, I know. These problems don't evaporate on schedule. But still, couldn't there have been a little more effort when he was raking in the bucks and had months off? No?

HoraceClarke66 said...

The Scherzer deal seems curiouser and curiouser.

They got one minor-league infielder for him...AND sent Texas $35.5 mill. Huh? The point of breaking the team down is getting a bunch of young prospects and shedding payroll. Or at least it's supposed to be.

The Archangel said...

Scherzer is like a bald tire right now. But he's still better than the flats the Rangers had as 4 and 5 starters
They also got the Mets to pay a lot of the remaining salary.
Is Verlander next?

edb said...

I thought the same thing. Good comparison.