1. Mariano blew another save.
2. Girardi mis-managed the situation in the bottom of the 9th.
Any decent manager, and decent baseball man ( right SUPERFRANKENSTEIN?), knowing the pitch count and Colon's "roll," would give the man a chance for a complete game shutout.
This wasn't Phil Hughes pitching.
Girardi is inflexible when it comes to MO. It is like his obsession with tie games, at home, in the ninth. He always brings in MO as if "blind ritual" will always overcome today's reality.
3. The captain is no longer a clutch guy. I now groan when he comes up in the key situations of the game. At least twice last night/this morning, the captain failed to deliver.
4. That new kid in right field has guts. He was willing to stay in the
game ( though he thought he was awaiting his cheeseburger
at a disco in Jersey ), after taking that fast ball in the foreskin (er, forehead ).
5. Franciso Cervelli can't hit at the major league level. Much as we "pull " for him ( right, SUPERFRANKENSTEIN?), he is awful.
6. Our bullpen choices, despite creating and surviving about 10 bases loaded situations last night/this morning, and holding the O's to zero runs, are frightening.
7. The guy calling balls and strikes last night/this morning pissed off both managers. But the called third strike that pissed on A-Rod with the bases loaded on no outs was a good pitch. In the long run, and last night was long, we came out better on balls.
8. Give credit to that tall drink of water who pitched 4 scoreless innings out of the pen. His work was alarming, but in a good sense. Another guy we can trade in July.