Monday, July 30, 2018

Tyler Austin and a Low Single A for Lance Lynn

I hate to see Tyler Austin go. But I cannot fault Brian Cashman for moving him. Greg Bird is our 1B (until his paw starts barking again.) After that, they'd use Neil Walker and even then, the new guy, Luke Voit. Austin was going to die in Scranton, and that's a terrible way to go.

Luis Rijo, age 19, is probably too young to sweat losing. Has he even had his Tommy John virginity broken? Also, he's a reminder that most of what we know about the Yankee farm system is pure disinformation and hype. Nobody mentioned him on the top 30 lists, yet Minnesota wanted him enough to make the deal. 

To replace him, we just signed a 16-year-old Cuban. And it looks like we're in a bidding war for a couple of the other young Latinos. Five years ago, we spent a zillion on young Latinos. Today, our best prospect from that class - Estevan Florial - was one of the cheaper signings. And they say Dermis Garcia, the most expensive power hitter, might be converting to pitcher. So it goes. 

The key to everything is Lance Lynn. He's 31 and has pitched terribly this year, as the plummeting ERAs show. 


Supposedly, he's going to take the slot Adam Warren had been filling - sixth starter, long relief. We're slightly older (Warren was 30.) He had a good month of June, then sucked in July. And in his last game (Friday), Lance threw six innings at Fenway, gave up two.

Why do I have a feeling that Cashman isn't done? 

14 comments:

Carl J. Weitz said...

Seriously...why Lance Lynn? He is no reliever. I bet Cashman does a Dillon Tate/someone else or Sonny Gray and someone else for Chris Archer. We are running out of minor league someone elses.

TheWinWarblist said...

This is moving into the patently nuts phase of trade delirium. Can Cash no longer stop himself from shuffling piles of crap while giving away the farm?

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

Hey now, crap is used to fertilize the farm... but apparently someone else’s farm.

13bit said...

Would that there were some grand plan, even a crappy one, I could accept it, but it feels like the behavior of a crackhead who was just released from a 28-day treatment program and given a thousand bucks.

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

I was surprised to hear Curtis Granderson was still playing, but not surprised the Yankees are interested.

Anonymous said...

In constrast to another Cashman grab of a high-mileage, thirty-something mediocrity, the Astros grab a twenty-three-year-old who can really pitch.

The Astros are run by really smart people. Cashman's a dunce.

Vampifella said...

Maaaaaannnnnnn!!!!! So basically it's Warren (who was super cheap but needs to be resigned) gets converted to the very iffy Lynn (we'll pay a $2 mill rental on him). It doesn't seem that Lynn is better than Warren though and it looks like an awful move.

BUT we get $1.25 million international bonus money and maybe will draft a future star. We'll see how that works out 5 years down the road.

Plus we loose Tyler Austin with lots of arb years and we'll surely need him tomorrow when Bird breaks a wing.

I'm pretty upset here as we lost two "underdog" Yanks whom I really liked. Maybe Warren will resign back this winter or something?

Also, I'm hoping Rijo isn't Jose Rijo's son. That was another Yank that shouldn't have gotten away even though it took us a few years to regret it. I don't see anything in his stats to suggests it's something to worry about.

Either way, it seems that got rid of a lot of Rule 5's this past week and will have many free spots due to rentals. I hope what we are going to protect was worth it.

13bit said...

Granderson? Please shoot me now.

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

Yes, Grandersen. The nadir comes just before... another nadir.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Yes, Granderson. They're also talking about McCutchen, which would've been a helluva deal in, say, 2013-15.

Now, he has all of 3 extra-base hits in his last 70 at-bats, I'm told. But nonetheless, he'll cost something!

JM said...

This is just...

I mean...

What an asshole.

TheWinWarblist said...

Granderson? C'mon ...

Carl J. Weitz said...

Actually, Dillon Tate is already gone...so substitute Chance Adams. 3 hours left to see.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.