Monday, January 8, 2024

The New York Game.


 "He who tooteth not his own horn, the same shall not be tooted."

—John L. Lewis



My Dear Fellow Lunatics:

 

Reports of my demise in 2020 have been greatly exaggerated. Contrary to what you may have read, I did not pass away on my beloved St. Croix, but have been secreted in an undisclosed Bronx location, working away at my major opus on the history of New York City baseball.

 

At last, it is done! It is entitled, The New York Game: Baseball and the Rise of a New City. It is being published by Knopf, and will be out in March. You can buy it online, or at most any friendly local bookshop or lunatic asylum—though publishers always like copious pre-orders.

 

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/7503/the-new-york-game-by-kevin-baker/

 





As you can see, I wrote it under the name of some passing schlemiel, whose birthright I purchased for a mess o’pottage, i.e., a bunch of certified, Yankee Stadium rat dogs.  

 

It only goes through 1945, but that’s long enough to get plenty of Yankees stuff in, and if you’ll notice there’s a Yankee on the cover. It’s also before a certain other team in Queens ever existed.

 

And don’t worry, the second volume, already written, will be out in the spring of 2026—just as the Yanks prepare to win their third straight ring! HAHAHAHAHAHA. 

 

Countless thanks to El Duque, Stang, Alphonso, and everybody else who runs this blessed escape from sanity. Now I can truly echo their elegant admonition:

 

“Buy my book, you hockey pucks!”

 

Please.

 

Horace Clarke

21 comments:

Carl J. Weitz said...

Congrats, Horace...you're now in the paid writing biz! May it hit the NY Times top 10 Best Sellers.

AboveAverage said...

Well - Congratulations…..

Did Winny pen the Forward?

And just like that - my VCR started working again.

Strange how these things happen.

Doug K. said...

Mega congrats Kevin.

You are and have always been a writer worth reading and a scholar who makes the history of the game both accessible and enjoyable. I will be buying it.

If I'm back in NY while you are still doing book signings I will come by and shill.

Well done my friend. Well done.

For those of you that don't know this is not his first. Check out his full canon sometime. It's VERY impressive.

It's a privilege to get to read you on a regular basis.

el duque said...

Hoss

THIS IS FUCKING BIG!

CONGRATULATIONS, AND WE GOTTA MAKE THIS A BEST-SELLER!

DAMN! YEAHHHHHHHH!

ranger_lp said...

Congrats Hoss!!!

TheWinWarblist said...

OH! NO! T'IS APOPALYPTIC!



I'm buying two to start.



Fuck Hal in every foul way.

JM said...

We gotta wait until March? Damn.

That's at least reasonable. But 2026 for part two? Hoss, please! Get that publishing date moved up!

By 2026, some of us may not be 1) here, or 2) interested in baseball anymore, thanks to this lackluster, bumbling franchise.

Congratulations!!

BTR999 said...

Congratulations Hoss!

Yes I will order it. Honestly, I had no idea you were such an esteemed man of letters. Always enjoy your posts here, and your friendly interactions with the wild-eyed loonies here (er, all present company excluded).

DickAllen said...

By Grabthar’s hammer, by the suns of Worvan, I shall not die until after Volume II is in my decepit hands!

Congratulations, Hoss. Well Done!

13bit said...

Just pre-ordered!

Kevin said...

Congratulations Hoss! I always "knew" that you were a pro writer, but wow! I'll be buying!
PS,
Very Happy for you!

el duque said...

Have ordered a copy.

Delivery day: March 5!

The Yankees will still be in first!

Joe Formerlyof Brooklyn said...


I'm gonna buy the book. But I think, based on past performance with Hoss, I'm gonna have to read it 6 lines at a time.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks so much guys! Appreciate it more than I can easily say. And yeah, there will be a few book signings in the New York area (can't think where else people will want to buy this), so come on by and say hello!

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Ordered.

I hope this doesn't go to your head...

Does this mean we will have to address you as "Mr. Clarke" from now on?

And if Taylor Swift calls, HANG UP!

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks, Rufus! And if Taylor Swift calls, I won't be able to hang up. The heart attack will kill me first!

Scottish Yankee fan said...


Says not available to deliver to the UK but I will find a way to buy it somehow

acrilly said...

Yout book preview reads right up my ally!! Can’t wait for March 5th.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks, Carl Weitz! Yeah, been doing this for money since the spring of 1972, when I was still 13. Ten bucks an article—which was ten times what babysitting paid, and five times washing dishes in the summer tourist restaurants. Had to learn to type to keep the job!

Pocono Steve said...

Ordered! Many congrats, Hoss!

Hinkey Haines said...

IIHIIFIIc should buy the movie rights.