Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Monday, April 20, 2009

Letter to the Editor: Don't take me out to the ballgame


The Star-Ledger (Newark, New Jersey)
April 14, 2009 Tuesday
Dear Editor:

I recently visited the New York Yankees website in search of 6 tickets to an August game vs. the Texas Rangers. The Yankees site diverted me to Ticketmaster, where I selected the "best available" option for seats.

I was surprised, but not shocked at what was being offered.

The seats were located five rows behind the visitor's dugout, beyond third base into left field. Each ticket was $2,625, plus a Ticketmaster "convenience charge" of $59.70 per ticket. A $3.50 processing charge and $2.50 delivery fee for e-mailed tickets was tacked on. Grand total: $16,113.95.

Throw in parking, tolls, a couple of hot dogs and a few beers, and I'm looking at $17,000 for a two-hour ball game. Thanks, but no thanks.

The Yankee brass needs a reality check. In lieu of attending that Yankees game in August, I will use the $17,000 to pay for my daughter's next college tuition payment, which is due around that time - a far better investment.

I wish the Yankees all the best in their new $2 billion home in the Bronx from my modest 1960s split level home in the suburbs of New Jersey.

Andy Cattano
New Providence

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The next Yankee stadium will have virtual seating.

For a couple bucks you can sit wherever you want. Theyll sell the same seat a million times over.

Virtual stadium. Write it down.

adam said...

Oh, the self righteous people of New Jersey. What a lovely group of personalities.