Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Has Lance Turned A Corner?

 With his size that would be pretty tough to do
If so then we may have to call off this future event. The photo mock-up at left was sent in by beloved ex-Yankee coach Frank "Hondo" Howard. It demonstrates how he could dispose of the whale that swallowed Houston if previous attempts had failed.

.....But Tuesday night, the flashes were back. Back in a way that Berkman or the Yankees have yet to full experience. He easily turned on a James Shields pitch in the first inning, ripping it to deep center field and driving in two runs. While it was his only hit of the night, it has the Yankees DH feeling like he's finally back at a place that feels comfortable.
"Coming into this year, my career numbers were pretty good as far as batting average and I'm hitting .250," he said. "I've never really done that before. There had to be something going on because I'm too young, I think, to really feel like I'm falling apart. I mean, I'm 34. I'm expecting to jump out there and hit 50 homers or get that much better, but there's a level of consistency.
"To all of a sudden, just hit .200 for the year. That didn't make any sense."
Now fully healthy, Berkman has taken to sessions with hitting coach Kevin Long, trying to get back the swing that made him a feared cleanup hitter in Houston. The results might be a slow drip, but Berkman can feel something bigger bubbling under the surface. Nights like Tuesday only prove that.....

No comments: