Put Gardy in the All-Star Game, or don't bother to watch
Thursday, July 19, 2012
Posted by el duque at 5:55 AM
1. July 4, 2012: McDonald signs with Yankees, after being waived by hated Redsocks.
2. July 6, 2012: In first-ever appearance as Yankee, McDonald enters game as 9th inning LF replacement for Raul Ibanez. Speedy Darnell dashes to CF to encourage Curtis Granderson to catch fly ball. Grandy makes play knowing McDonald is on the job!
3. July 7, 2012: Batting against former Redsock teammate Franklin Morales, McDonald hits towering foul that is eventually caught by firstbaseman Adrian Gonzalez. Slams bat in disgust. He just missed it!
4. July 7, 2012: Batting again against Morales, Darnell again crushes towering foul that is captured by Gonzalez. Damn. So close.
5. July 7, 2012: Playing CF, McDonald nearly exacts revenge on nemesis Gonzalez, charging a line drive single, which drops in front of him. Still, he deftly keeps speedy David Ortiz from going first-to-third on the single.
6. July 7, 2012: In second game of twinbill, while batting against former teammate Felix Doubront, McDonald holds off on a pitch in the dirt, which gets away from the Redsock catcher and allows the Yankee baserunner to take an extra base. It's ruled a passed ball.
7. July 7, 2012: Moments later, McDonald strikes out swinging against former teammate Felix Doubront. Later, McDonald strikes out again at the hands of Doubront.
8. July 7, 2012: McDonald gracefully ranges back in deep CF to snare a fly ball hit by Boston's Nick Punto. He makes the catch but cannot hold the runner, who scores from third.
9. July 7, 2012: McDonald fields David Ortiz's line drive to right center. He fires the ball into second, holding Ortiz to a single.
10. July 13, 2012: Ninth inning defensive replacement McDonald flawlessly fields Howie Kendrick's single to right field.
Days later, he is waived. Hoping for a speedy return.