Thursday, November 22, 2018

A Thanksgiving rarity: Tim Locastro, the newest Yankee, is both a steal and a gift

See that headline? It's a pun. 

It sounds as though I believe the Yankees just ripped off the Dodgers in a trade. That's because utility man Tim Locastro, the newest Yankee, would likely play one role on the 2019 team: Stealing bases.

Supposedly, Locastro's super power is speed. Last year, in his Dodgers' cup of coffee, he played 12 games and stole 4 bases. Trouble is, he's mostly an OF and bats RH, and we're already top-heavy with both. He's 26, so it's now or never. He could become this year's Jabari Blash - the Yankee pickup in last year's Chase Headley dump - and vanish before spring training. (By the way, for Jabari fans out there, the Blashman came to bat 39 times for the Angels, notched four hits, drove in a run and stole two bases! And for you Jabari Sabermetrons, his WAR was a -0.8, yep a negative oh-point-eight. So don't say I never told you nuthin.') 

But here's where Brian Cashman did his good deed for 2018. (If he doesn't get into Cooperstown, maybe he'll still make Heaven.) Cash traded pitcher Drew Finley, a former third round pick who hasn't panned out, to the Dodgers, where his dad is an exec. This looks like a favor, cooked up at the GM meetings, and to get Locastro - whom LA wasn't going to protect in the Rule 5 draft - we kicked in a modest $75,000 for chips and dip. 

Hey, we reunited a father and his son! Today, while the kids are screaming, and evil uncle Gary is spewing racial epithets, take comfort in knowing that somewhere, far away, the Finley family is enjoying a happy Thanksgiving.

Have a good one. Today's holiday hint: Don't forget the bone saw!

4 comments:

Publius said...

Cash is all in on the 2019 Governors' Cup. That deciding game 5 loss really left a bad taste. Watch out Durham...

Vampifella said...

And Tim Locastro is a New York guy. Auburn born, Ithaca College raised. Obviously a Yankee fan, unless he's one of those poor lost souls that somehow loves the Red Sox. I could never understand how anyone in Upstate NY could do that. I always figured that they were antagonistic jerks rather than real baseball fans.

Anyway, me thinks the two teams were trying to score some points with Santa so he'd give them a good player for Christmas. A father reunited with son, a New Yorker on his assumed favorite team. Happiness all around! And a Happy Turkey Day to all on this blog!

TheWinWarblist said...

I approve this trade.

Cashman still sucks donkey ass.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.