Monday, March 11, 2024

Kevin Baker's great book on New York baseball is getting rave reviews!

We know him as the great HoraceClarke66. 

The world knows him as Harper's contributing editor, keeper of history and writer of books, the great Kevin Baker.

His new book is THE NEW YORK GAME: BASEBALL AND THE RISE OF A NEW CITY, published by Knopf. 
 It's just out. It's great. Order it HERE.

Wait a minute. I'm just a lackey, right? Why would you take my word for anything? Remember: I was wrong about Jesus Montero; (I thought he'd be the next big thing.) 

So, dismissing whatever I think, check out just a few reviews...

"... [a] massively impressive book by a talented author who is clearly in love with his subject..." Kirkus Reviews.

"... A baseball dream come true..." The Beacon.

"... Shows how much New York and baseball need each other..." Bloomberg.

 Here's the excerpt in New York Magazine. 

Here's the excerpt in InsideHook. 

I could run more reviews, but I'm insanely jealous. In the meantime, for God's sake, buy this book! 

9 comments:

Doug K. said...

Was there any doubt? :)

acrilly said...

I'm enjoying it! Thanks, Kevin.

Scottish Yankee fan said...



Just ordered

Will be arriving in Scotland May 8th

Look forward to reading it and will leave you a nice review as well

13bit said...

Hoss thunders on like Big Train, like a rocket, like The 20th century Limited…

Kevin said...

I bought it the first day and am looking forward to reading it!

Local Bargain Jerk said...


HC66:

In an era where "I published a book!" all too often translates as "I self-published my book using this cool online software!", getting published by Knopf hearkens back to the good old days. Nicely done.

I just ordered my copy.

HoraceClarke66 said...

You guys are very sweet, as always. You will be a great consolation through this wretched Yankees season to come.

JM said...

Hey, Hoss, just saw this post. Congratulations! I'm ordering it as we speak.

Knopf...classy, man!

The Hammer of God said...

Hoss, We're in awe! We're in the presence of true blue literary talent, a man of letters. Congratulations!!!!

Congratulations and celebrations
When we tell everyone that our Hoss has wrote a new book
Congratulations and jubilations
We want the world to know so it can take a new look!

Congratulations and jubilations
We want the world to know that our Hoss wrote a new book
We want the world to know so it can take a new look!