Friday, September 17, 2010

On These Holiest Of Holy Days..

I once mistakenly believed I was the first Jewish Yankee. I was actually the third. Phil Cooney was the first. That's where he lived in 1918.
About Phil:
Philip Clarence Cooney (September 14, 1882 - October 6, 1957) , born Philip Clarence Cohen, was a Major League Baseball player. He was a third baseman for the New York Highlanders for one game in the 1905 season. Cooney had no hits in three at-bats. On June 17, 1917, he was the first Western League player to have an unassisted triple play. He was born and died in New York, New York and served a s a private in World War I
Position: Third Baseman,  Bats: Left, Throws: Right, Height: 5' 8", Weight: 155 lb
Service Info.: PVT US ARMY WORLD WAR I
Cemetery: Long Island National Cemetery
Cemetery Address: 2040 Wellwood Avenue Farmingdale, NY
Thankfully the Orioles have no suspected Mossad  agents on their team like the Rangers

No comments: