Monday, February 7, 2011

A fan gave Andy Pettitte directions to his retirement news conference: A hero, or a turncoat?

Andy Pettitte took a wrong exit and got lost en route to his Yankee Stadium press conference. He stopped and asked people for directions. A few didn't help. Then someone -- a Good Samaritan, or a Redsock fan? -- came to his aid.

Essay question:

If Andy Pettitte came to you, asking for guidance... what would you do?

A. I would feel honored to help, offering my directions as a small token of gratitude for the heroism and gallant efforts he has given me, the fan, throughout his career. After all, it's his life, his choice.

B. I would refuse him. God blessed this young man with a great talent, and I cannot in good conscience direct him to a platform from which he will make the greatest mistake of his life.

C. I would give directions only after, a) he has viewed a sonogram of the 2011 Yankee pitching staff, which will suffer without him, b) he has discussed the decision with his parents and c) he has considered putting his arm out for adoption.

D. Whatever he wants to do is his business. Leave me out. He should not ask, and I should not tell.

E. Screw him. I've already helped him through public tax incentives that built Yankee Stadium. He makes $12 million... doesn't buy GPS... and now he's coming to ask for more?

F. I'll drive him to the stadium. If he's become such a girlyman that he gets out of the car to ask for directions, then he certainly has lost the guts to pitch for the Yankees. 

No comments: