Friday, February 4, 2011

Yankeetorial: Last time we had a surge of pitching prospects, only one made it through

I was oogling a blog yesterday that touted our stud pitching rotations this season at Scranton and Trenton. I'd heard the names so much they're like brands of beer - Brackman Lager, Betances Stout, et al. I was ready to pour a draught of Stoneburner IPA, when I heard the news about Andy.

Suddenly, I remembered 1993.

Man, it hurts to remember so far back. Who was President in '93? Nixon? Truman? Had the Beatles broken up yet? Whew. It's all a blur. Except for the Yankee stud pitching prospects.

If there'd been an Internet, I would have been blogging about our young arms. (Believe me, I been blogging about the Yankees for 30 years now, a new definition of hopelessness.) But for those of you old enough to remember the Thompson Twins and Busom Buddies, let's call roll:

Mark Hutton had 2nd starter stuff.
Domingo Jean electrified Yankee Stadium in his first starts.
Sam Mitello was a sure thing; he nearly threw a no-hitter in his first game.
Sterling Hitchcock was a crafty lefty.
Dave Eilland was finally on the brink.
Bobby Munoz might be a stopper.
Matt Drews was a first round pick.
Russell Springer was one of Suzyn's faves on WFAN.
Bob Wickman came in a trade.
Brian Boehringer was huge.
And then there was the greatest pitching prospect in baseball...
the once-in-a-generation lefty..
Brien Taylor.

I vaguely remember a young guy on the outer edge of the prospect lists. His name was Andy Pettitte.

I say this not to douse today's hope. But if out of this current bunch, we find one Andy, we should consider ourselves lucky. (Remember when the Mets had the best three pitchers in baseball? Wilson, Isrighausen and -- help me  - I can't remember the third. I have blocks about the Mets.)

Over the last 11 years, only two of the Yankees first-round draft picks have amounted to anything. Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy, whom we dealt for a three-way.

Guys like Pettitte come along exceedingly rarely. They don't necessarily top the prospect lists.

And we go through prospect lists like bottles of beer. We need a case, not a six-pack.

2 comments:

Joe De Pastry said...

Third Met: Pulsipher
Career: 13-19, 5.15

Anonymous said...

Some guy named Rivera wasn't there?