Monday, May 11, 2015
Posted by el duque at 6:30 AM
Yep. It's the Spring Fling Thing. Folks, this is your team on drugs: sizzling, rolling, taking three out of four from Buck Showalter - Lord Baldemort, himself. All we need now is a few hits from Didi Gregorius, a middle-innings Garden Weasel for the bullpen, and a sixth - yes sixth! - starter. Hello-o-o, C.C. Sabathia, are your there?
We need time to speed up. We need the next two months on Fast-Forward, before anybody can adjust. Right now, Baltimore looks dead, Boston is performing human sacrifices, and the Rays - hah! - they just lost Drew Smyly, on top of Alex Cobb, which means they could soon be back to drafting Number One every year.
Now's the time to put a few laps between the Yankees and the fractured AL East. If we can - say - sweep Tampa, we could conceivably go into the weekend as the only above .500 team in the division... six games up on everybody.
Ah, but there we go - using that word again; "If."
It always conjures questions.
1. Is Beltran really back, or will his recent nice at-bats simply be tidbits of false hope, which keep the Yankees from benching him?
2. Do we have enough talent stockpiled at Scranton - or maybe even Trenton - to survive the waves of injuries that is sure to come?
3. Will we ever feel secure about Tanaka?
4. What happens when Ellsbury/Gardner and Betances/Miller cool off?
5. Will Boston keep shooting itself in the foot?
The Redsocks were pre-season favorites. Their pitching is horrible, but Mookie Betts remains a wild card... and when he heals, Rusney Castillo will be another. A month from now, they could be as hot as they currently are cold.
Last year, the Yankees were in first place as late as May 22. Do we dare believe?