Sunday, April 1, 2018

It's Easter. Nothing Bad Can Happen....Heh, heh


I am much too old for this.

I see that my cousin ( feline noir ) appeared yesterday and, while off the mark ( barely ) , his ominous presence was right on.  Two down and counting.

I  feared for McKinney's life when I saw that collision.  Had it been his head that took the brunt of the impact, he would be gone.  No padding there, but plenty of high gloss for advertising.   Nice work for the accountants.  But, having Red Thunder out for three months, and only now beginning to use crayons in re-hab, I can start to appreciate Bobby Abreu.

I don't know , frankly, if this was is the beginning or the end of McKinney's career.  Shoulders can be tricky, and they often never heal right ( my own wing can testify ). And then there is the mental aspect;  can I run flat out for a line drive in the gap, headed to the wall?  Ever again?   Do I have to ?  Should I even?  By the time McKinney is healthy, he will be so far out of baseball shape that, well, I think this year is history.

The Adam Warren thing was pure spite.  Screw the arrogant, and confident Yankees.  The line-up that terrifies everyone, in their dreams.  Yesterday the Yankees had two guys participating in the offense, and one was named Austin and the other named Drury.  They did what they could. Not scary enough.

But the real evil, and the most severe injury yesterday, might just be mental, not physical.

Did you notice a tall guy sweating profusely yesterday?  A guy who wouldn't or couldn't hold a runner on?  A hugely paid ace walking people and giving up homers? Freezing on a play unfolding right in front of him.  Throwing the ball into the second deck?  In the third game of the season against a heavily mediocre team?

Was the man having a " deja vu " moment from an unraveling last season?  Was it really that hot, yesterday, in the dome?

I heard the word " yips " mentioned, yesterday, as I paddled about the pond.

 What have you heard?

What did you see?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for mentioning Bobby Abreu. A player I was not all that fond of. That said, this AM I woke up early to order a "Bobby Abreu Was Right!" Tee Shirt.

Seriously, I am starting to hate walls. From the one they "need to build" on the border to every outfield wall in MLB. I haven't felt this way since watching Richard Burton get shot in "The Spy Who Came In From the Cold."

Enough with the walls!

Doug K.



Leinstery said...

Aaron's the Judge but Brandon's the Jury(Drury?)

And I almost forgot how frustrating Sonny Gray is. Almost.

JM said...

Gray is bad today. Good thing we can hit.

But, you know, Gray has great stuff. Just like Betances. And Chapman. And a host of other guys who never quite live up to their potential.

You know. Like Hicks. I

Yankee Shamus said...

“I feared for McKinney's life when I saw that collision. Had it been his head that took the brunt of the impact, he would be gone. No padding there, but plenty of high gloss for advertising. Nice work for the accountants. But, having Red Thunder out for three months, and only now beginning to use crayons in re-hab, I can start to appreciate Bobby Abreu.”

Maybe singlehandley one of the greatest paragraphs ever written on this page. I howled at the crayon part 😂

Yankee Shamus said...

I have to admit. I loved Sterling’s call for Drury. I figured it would be something along those lines and it was perfect.

ranger_lp said...

Everyone is now guessing what John's call for Andujar might be?

HoraceClarke66 said...

I know. I hated the Gray trade, but have tried to live with it. Ugh. He seems to me like the second coming of Jaret Wright, wearing your pen down to nothing even when his stuff is good.

He ssems afraid to pitch out there.

And yes, Doug K., I thought the same thing: I want to build a freakin' monument to Bobby Abreu in Yankee Stadium, just to remind these guys.

JM said...

D-Rob. Oh no.

Ken of Brooklyn said...

An Easter PINEAPPLE!

HoraceClarke66 said...

Not sure if this is quite a classic pineapple, in that almost everybody played such lousy ball, all day long.

A day with virtually no hitters, and they let the big bat beat us twice today. Nice.

Retired Stratman said...

So much for the analytics/data driven crap. So what if Donaldson was 3 for 8 in the past and Smoak was 0 for 5. How about the "data" that's right in front of your face - Donaldson has a bad shoulder and walking him loads the bases for their hottest hitter and gives DRob no margin for error? You could see the outcome coming a mile away. Makes me wonder if Boone called for the intentional walk himself or did Cashman and the Analytics call it in for puppet-boy to just follow orders? Boone sucks - fire him now and dig up Earl Weaver. The stat boys are killing us.

I've decided to call my band "Data Driven Crap".

Alphonso said...

I don't think we have to worry about John's call for Andjuhar. He had a less than iffy debut today. Another top Yankee prospect goes empty at the plate, with a strikeout, and a clean 0-3, with nothing threatening.

Is this how that Trout guy debuted?

I am getting the idea that most of our touted prospects really aren't worth keeping. Wade is already leading the league in
one-hop, soft ground outs to first base, and is hitting at a blistering 1-13.

We need our kids to come into the league and " flash" when they get their chance. Not go 0-3 or 1-13.

Judge flashed last year. Sanchez flashed when he came up. Bird has flashed. McKinney was looking as though he might.

That's what flashing is. Delivering big hits and making big plays when it is your turn.

If Tyler Austin can keep hitting he will be a good example. He flashed yesterday, big time.

I have no patience.

Anonymous said...

Well, personally, I am a retired Gibson-man - - but, in this case, I must agree with my compadre the Strat-Man, 100 percent. Boone has sucked in this first series. Why, oh why, would Cash-Puss hire him with absolutely NO managing experience?? Is he THAT pliable?? Ugh.

...and, Fonz, one thing I am NOT, is a retired "flasher" - - but I agree with you - - I can recognize a good "flasher" when I see one - - and differentiate same from a mere "flash in the ol' proverbial pan"...I am starting to wonder if this is mostly with what Cash-Puss has stocked us. Hope I'm mistaken.

Have fun in DC, Hoss! LB (No J)

HoraceClarke66 said...

Well, hey, Willie Mays didn't actually flash. And Mickey Mantle flashed, and then crashed, then became The Mick. So who can say.

But I know what you mean, Alphonso. You want to see these guys at least grinding out there, getting a hard-earned walk or single. Not just flailing like everyone else.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.