Saturday, April 7, 2018

Those who are tardy do not get fruit cup

I agree with Vampifella, who wrote, "Is too early for a fire sale for future prospects? I don't want to see the team empty the minor leagues for crap under-the-budget players whom won't really improve the team." 

That said, I wonder what we can get for Betances and Chapman? Although that big fat contract we laid on Chappie would probably preclude any team from taking him, unless we continued to pay a chunk of his salary. We keep Green, Robertson, Warren, Shreve (no Kahnle, any supportive stats be damned). Perhaps Mariano can be enticed to come out of retirement if we give gazillions of dollars to his ministry. Hey, it's worth a shot. He's still looks like he's in great shape, and, like Jake and Elwood, we'd be on a mission from Gahd. The reason we have so few bench players is because we carry so many questionable to worthless pitchers. And has any reliever ever had a more ironic name than Holder?

We really should just cut Ells or pay his salary while he doesn't play for someone else. I like the guy, I respect the guy, but come on. He's a china doll in the (very) twilight of his career. The real concerns are the younger guys on the DL. Cashman will never trade Hicks, but he ought to. Go with Stanton/McKinney (get well soon, kid--please), Gardy, and Judge. Has anybody here seen our old friend Frazier? Can you tell me where he's gone? If he ever recovers from his headbanging, he should be the left fielder most days, and share that patch with Clank.

Our pitching rotation really consists of Severino, Tanaka, Monty, maybe Sonny. I wonder how Sonny would do in the bullpen? But maybe that's premature. He has, as you know, great stuff. Although Green has great stuff and has been teased with the possibility of starting. This might be a good time. CC is going to have trouble with his hip all season, and it may KO him completely at some point. Maybe our fourth starter should alternate between Gray and Green. How colorful! Who pitches when would depend on how much work either one is getting in the pen at any point in time, of course.

Migraines suck, and even though I've only had a couple in my lifetime, I feel for Drury. But they don't last 10 days. Something else is going on there. Bird's career may have flown the coop already. It's impossible to be optimistic about him, but I suppose we can try to not be pessimistic. Regardless, he ain't playing, and we have no idea what we'll get when he comes back. Ty Austin should be the everyday first baseman until that happens, with Wade/Walker at second.

Sanchez has to stay healthy. Has to. No ifs, ands, or buts. And everyone who isn't suffering from an ailment of one kind or another has to start hitting, consistently. I assume the Yankees' best baseball people assume it's just a matter of time. Those are the same guys who traded Cave and the other minor league guys to get us where we are now.

Andujar is young, and hopefully, as he does better, I'll get used to calling him AnDUjar instead of ANdujar. Torres needs a little more time in Scranton to scrape off the rust and get used to his newly relocated tendon. (The Intertubes say the tendon can come from a volunteered cadaver, but let's say "relocated" and sleep at night.)

It's too early to panic. If we were 1-7, it wouldn't be. But obviously, we're not going to be the 1984 Tigers and put in a ridiculously hot April then coast to the playoffs.

However, it may be time to be concerned. I'm already looking into the necessary forms for admission to the Psycho-Neurotic Institute for the Very, Very Nervous. Their whiskey selection seems pretty limited, but it might have to suffice.

10 comments:

Leinstery said...

6 innings, 86 pitches and Advanced Analytics yanks him in favor of his tired bullpen. Not only is this probably the only time in the foreseeable future in which Sonny will go more than 5 innings, but he continues to make me miss the Binders.

So here, 9 games into the season I will declare

Give me Binders, or give me death - Patrick "Leinstery" Henry

Joe of AZ said...

LONG LIVE THE BINDERS!!!!

Anonymous said...

METS 6-1...

RED SOX 7-1....

I HOPE THEY HAVE GENTLEMEN JACK IN THE PSYCHO WARD.

Anonymous said...

Binders?? NEVER AGAIN. NO!!!! Anyone else besides Boone-Head?? ...as long as they have at least SOME coaching experience, and have NOT been a talking-head, sure. OK.

I might be headed for that ward, too, but I have to check their supply of chocolate, first, before I'd even consider it.

Just to clarify my feelings above: Boonie just MAY be the only manager who MIGHT be worse than Binders - - but, FGS, we can & should do better than these two swamp-creatures. LB (No J)

Anonymous said...

NO MORE BINDERS GUYS, C'MON...LOL

NO WAY.

NOTICE HOW NO OTHER TEAM RUSHED TO GRAB HIM?

THINK ABOUT THAT.

HoraceClarke66 said...

I agree with ALL-CAPS!

Ma Boone is not the problem. Everybody's getting hurt, everybody's failing in the clutch. And, sadly, much of the pitching is sucking.

What this has to be is another year of rebuilding/sorting out, so we can see if we need to sign Machado or the Third Tenor next season. In the meantime, we shouldn't count on much.

Joe Formerlyof Brooklyn said...


It's possible (I know it seems unlikely) that the NYYs will WIN today vs. the Bawlmores.
After all, Monty is pitching, and his first start was encouraging.

BUT: If they do, the team's record, at the 10-game mark, will be 6-and-4.

In your wildest dreams, did you think the Yankees would end the season with 97 wins?

...because that's what 6-and-4 projects to over 162 games.

Urban Farmer formerly known as DutchFan said...

Everything looks so much easier from a distance. Me for instance, I live oceans away and as such I do not suffer from myopia.
Basically the Yankees are a .500 team. 6-4 against average opponents (Toronto, orioles) 4-6 again St the likes of Houston, Socks.
But there will not be a sell-off because we will be hunting that playoff lottery game. So after the break we will be 6-4 overall, because 75% of the other teams will tank. Hence, 91 wins.

Boone is no Binders. But he is too I experienced to act on his gut. So he pulls Gray.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Girardi was well past his sell date. A more than decent guy, but too stubborn as the years went by.

Since half the current team was on SWB in the last year, I went to look at their interwebs page.

Gleyber Torres was given number se7en? Seriously? This alone must have pissed off the Juju gods *and* ODUMODU.

Quick, change it to number 0. That way 25 years from now they can retire the last single digit number -- again.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.