Wednesday, August 12, 2020

There's something missing this year, and it's not just fans in the bleachers

It never really seems right. You hear the fake crowd noise and wonder if it's fooling the players, because it's not fooling you. Now and then, maybe for a moment, you forget. Then a foul ball bounces off the empty seats, reminding you that nobody's there. It's just not right.

Don't get me wrong. In just two weeks, I have become hooked on the role that baseball is attempting to retake in my life. Baseball at night means less time doom-scrolling the internet, or watching cable news retread our tribal hatreds, 24/7. I'm lucky that the Yanks have played relatively well: If the team tanks, I might return to the misery news networks, and it won't do my heart any good.

Still, something is missing, and it's not fannies in seats. Last night, as the Yanks pounded Atlanta, it was on display. 

Okay, close your eyes and set the Wayback to winter of 2017...

It's four years ago. The Yankees have the second most fruitful minor league system in baseball, behind only the - gulp - Braves. This stems from the Great Tanking of 2016, when Cooperstown Cashman traded Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman, Carlos Beltran, Rudy Giuliani, et al, for a new beginning. For the sake of our parlor game, let's recap our top 15 prospects that winter, according to MILB's John Sickels. 

1. Gleyber Torres
2. Clint Frazier
3. Blake Rutherford (now in White Sox system)
4. Jorge Mateo (in A's system)
5. Justice Sheffield (in Mariners system)
6. James Kaprielian (in A's system)
7. Chance Adams (in Royals system)
8. Domingo Acevido (Yankee non-roster candidate)
9. Albert Abreu
10. Aaron Judge
11. Miguel Andujar
12. Dillon Tate (now in Orioles system)
13. Dustin Fowler (mired in A's system)
14. Ian Clarkin (out of baseball)
15. Jordan Montgomery

Quick outlook: The Yankees would go 7 for 15 - succeeding with Gleyber, Judge, Andujar, Montgomery, Sheffield (traded for James Paxton), Tate (traded for Zack Britton) and - let's be hopeful - Frazier. 

We squandered Fowler, Kaprielian and Mateo for Sonny Gray. Likewise, we turned Rutherford and Clarkin into Todd Frazier and Tommy Kahnle (sort of a win, I suppose.) 

Worth noting is the depth of the Yankee system. An "HM" group includes Tyler Wade, Tyler Austin, Giovanni Gallegos, Chad Green, Jonathan Holder, Nick Solak, Jake Cave, Nick Goody, Kyle Higashioka, Billy McKinney... all of whom will reach The Show. Not bad, overall. So much hope for the future... the Yankees seem destined to win again.

Of course, the top-rated franchise - whom we watched last night - is led by prospects SS Dansby Swanson, 2B Ozzie Albies, OF Ronald Acuna and pitchers Sean Newcomb and Mike Soroka - all of whom now play for Atlanta.

Why am I mentioning all this? Well, that's what's missing. 

Along with the empty bleachers, baseball's empty minor leagues keep reminding us of this alt-COVID universe. In the old days, the daily reports from Scranton, Trenton, Charleston, Tampa and even Pulaski offered me to somehow picture a future worth inhabiting. If the Yanks lost three out of four in Tampa, I'd scour the minors for a few young nobodies - most would never reach the majors - who hit HRs or pitched well. They'd give hope, even if it was as fake as last night's crowd roar.

Without the minors, baseball is a ghost ship. There is no future. The so-called "taxi squad" plays in Scranton, without eyeballs, and there are presumably workouts in Tampa for low level prospects. There are no daily updates on Jasson Dominiquez - the 17-year-old OF phenom - or even Clarke Schmidt, who is one more JA Happ bombing from a call-up. We have only the TV games. 

I say this because, before the pandemic, MLB was doing its best to shrink the minor leagues - the last bastion of rural America's love for the game. My fear is that when we're done with this ongoing crisis - maybe next year? - the lords of the game will seek to kill off vast sectors of the minors, which they'd happily see NCAA sports factories replace. (Note: Financially stressed NCAA programs might have something to say about this.) The baseball world is going to change incredibly next year. Not for the better, I suspect.

So... my point? I miss the minors. I miss the cheesy mascots. I miss the stupid promotions, the Dollar Beer Nights, the fireworks. I miss the veterans on rehab, who absolutely hate being stuck here. I miss the kids, the families, the bad hot dogs. I miss the daily boxes. 

If baseball pulls this off - if we have a full season and a world series - it will be a great achievement. But if the minors die, it will be a national tragedy. Just sayin.'

10 comments:

Parson Tom said...

Best value in paid sports: Minor league baseball.

The Lords of Baseball deserve a public dunking, at a minimum, for what they've been trying to do to the minor leagues.

JM said...

All true, but back up a bit.

Dansby? WTF kind of name is that?

Retired Stratman said...

Dansby sounds like an English butler. As in “Dansby, I’ll take a restorative whiskey in the drawing room.”

Who the hell names their kid “Dansby”?

Anonymous said...

El Duque, I read this post and I realize that you are the twin brother that I never got to meet.

Anonymous said...

Retired,

"Who the hell names their kid “Dansby”?"

Same person who came up with

Gatsby, Barbie, and Aunt Bee.

Doug K.

Anonymous said...


That list of the top 15 minor leaguers is very impressive. It's interesting to see them all in one place. The farm delivered.

As to the potential end to the minors I have a question:

They have to keep AA and AAA right? So is this contraction limited to Single A and short season teams?

Still it would be a big loss. Big Staten Island Pizza Rat fan. Own the hat. Saw Mike Ford rehab there. Paid $8 to sit behind home. A view of Lower Manhattan fills the outfield.

Doug K.

HoraceClarke66 said...

I saw Betances there, Doug K.

But beyond that, my fellow NYC taxpayers and I foolishly paid tens of millions of dollars to build that park. Who will occupy it now?

If we had a real mayor, I think we would see an exponential increase in food, health, and building inspectors in Yankee Stadium next season.

I mean, so many there there would be a serious paper shortage in New York, thanks to all the citations.

HoraceClarke66 said...

The truly astonishing thing is how Cashman manages to compound his mistakes.

First, he decides to go after Sonny Gray, not Verlander—a foolish economy that, in and of itself, may well have cost the Yankees 3 World Series.

But at least he still has Gray, a reasonably valued economy...who he turned into...Shed Long. Who he then turned into Josh Towers, last seen hitting .131 at Surprise, in the Arizona Fall League.

Surprise, indeed.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I agree. We would've won at least one WS recently if we had gotten Verlander. That failure to get the right pitcher was a huge mistake, one of the biggest of Cashman's tenure.

The Hammer of God

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.