Saturday, August 15, 2020

Virtual Off-Day: Slugger Vanishes From First-Place Yankees (Again). Dazed Judge to DL. Yanks Scoot Back East.


Rescue crews looking over the tornado-strewn ruins of the cornfield and All-Star Ballpark Heaven found no trace of Virtual Yankees' slugger and man of knowledge, Giancarlo Stanton.  The loss of Stanton was considered a major blow to the Yanks, as New York's man of knowledge was hitting .348 on the season, with 16 home runs, in limited action. 
Stanton had revamped his game, and changed the team's entire philosophical approach to the game, after a life- and mind-altering experience in the desert earlier this year.  The Bombers' front office had no idea what might have become of him, but the team has already filed for payment of the $300-million accidental death policy it kept on Stanton with Lloyd's of London.

"Why, he could've been lifted up by the twister to a magical land where the roads are paved with gold, and demented midgets frolic about with giant lollilops," cackled GM Brian Cashman.  "Or probably not."

The twisters seemed to appear almost out of nowhere, defying all weather forecasts.  

"What you saw here was a massive, psychic disturbance in the atmosphere, caused by too many currents of imposed whimsy," explained Dr. Egon Spengler, chairman of Hudson University's Department of Paranormal Inquiry.  "You take this highly sentimental book, transform it into a Kevin Costner film fairly dripping with schmaltz—using not only a random doctor but even an actual hero of the civil rights movement as props, no less—then thoroughly corporatize what is essentially a movie set, shake well, add souvenirs, and play an actual major-league ballgame here, all in a supposed quest for lost innocence."

"Where is any sense of perspective?" asked Dr. Spengler.  "Where is there any admission that modern baseball's roots aren't in some Iowa field, but a bunch of vacant lots in New York City?  With all of this psychic hypocrisy and denial roiling the atmosphere of a country already engulfed in conspiracy theories and eager to bolt as the first sign of reality, well, you were just asking for an atmospheric explosion of this magnitude.

"In other words," said Spengler, "we were all just too full of it for something like this not to happen."

15 comments:

13bit said...

THE MAN OF KNOWLEDGE RETURNS!!!

THE POST IS IN COURIER TYPEFACE!!!

THE VIRTUAL YANKEES CONTINUE TO BEAT OUT THE "REAL" YANKEES FOR INTEREST AND ENTERTAINMENT.

HOSS, WE MUST ORGANIZE SOME KIND OF SOCIALLY DISTANCED GET-TOGETHER FOR THE NYC CREW AT SOME POINT.

OR NOT.

ALPHONSO, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, I PASSED BY CASSILIS AVENUE YESTERDAY.

APOLOGIES TO ALL-CAPS. I JUST REALIZED THAT I'M TYPING IN CAPS. IT FEELS GOOD. I MAY DO IT SOME MORE.

I LOVE YOU ALL.

JM said...

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING, BIT?

Reading this post I had a great idea for a new movie. "Field of Memes." It's about this farmer, see, and he hears a voice in his head so he plows part of his cornfield...

DickAllen said...

So, Monday would be Schmidt’s normal turn in the “rotation.”

It begs the obvious question.

Who else do they have?

DickAllen said...

So, Monday would be Schmidt’s normal turn in the “rotation.”

It begs the obvious question.

Who else do they have?

DickAllen said...

So, Monday would be Schmidt’s normal turn in the “rotation.”

It begs the obvious question.

Who else do they have?

DickAllen said...

And why in the world do I keep repeating myself?

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks, guys!

I do wish NYC would occasionally point out that, thanks to "the New York game" this is where what we think of as baseball started.

Anybody read the book they made "Field of Dreams" from, "Shoeless Joe"? Originally, the outsider character was not based on Bob Moses (from the civil rights movement), but J.D. Salinger, who I guess they probably feared would sue.

Much as I love James Earl Jones—who was great in "The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings"—making Moses, who was and is still alive a prop is not right.

Meanwhile, the real Moonlight Graham sounds like a class act:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight_Graham

JM said...

Glad to see Paxton has it all figured out.

Publius said...

DJ pulled from game. Tweaked a gonad swinging the bat. This baseball is dangerous, I tell ya.

BernBabyBern said...

Frazier is 6-for-10 with 2 HRs and 3 doubles since getting called up. ... Which means Cashman will send him down at the first opportunity. "Yes, he had six nice productive at-bats. But what about the other four? What happened? I mean, we can't have that kind of inconsistency."

Ralph Houk said...

Who was that masked man?

Rufus T. Firefly said...

re-post from another thread, because I really don't pay attention:

Stanton, don't hate the man, but...

Frazier would be a third year starter without Stanton.

Must there be a designated huge salary assigned to the DL? I mean, is there an insurance angle the suits are using? It's like they are required to have an anchor on the DL. And it's the DL. I don't care what the interwebs say.

Anonymous said...

I got to the game in the sixth...was there some context that explained the Master's saying, "I wore that sleep shirt last night, by the way"? Suzyn asked, "you did?" JS didn't answer. As far as I know it was never mentioned again.

I know I'm not losing my mind (that's a foregone event) but the Master?

MJ

HoraceClarke66 said...

Bring Andujar back up. The one good thing about all these idiotic injuries is that they keep Cashman from making another hideous trade.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.