Sunday, August 16, 2020

Covid Baseball 2020: Fake Crowds, a Buck-less Fox, and no Thuuh.


(I started this post early this morning shortly before Duque alerted everyone to the same thing.  I made some other observations about last night's game so even though I'm sorry for the repetition, I'll let these thoughts stand.)

I have friends visiting for the weekend.  The friend is a lifelong Yankee fan.

We watched the game last night on Fox.  It was the national MLB feed.  We clinked glasses when we realized there was no Joe Buck behind the mike.

We marveled at what Clint Frazier was doing.  It was very fun to see.

As the innings went by, we noticed a player's batting average was NOT displayed anywhere on Fox's on-screen graphics during each at bat.  Fox was showing just the batter's name and not something useful like "Urshela, .270".  The below is a screen shot taken during Frazier's home run.


I never realized how much the real-time BA adds to the enjoyment of the game.  A newly updated BA allows you to marvel at some players ("Frazier, .636") and rightfully gnash your teeth at others ("Sánchez, .111").  Not knowing the hitter's batting average when he's standing at the plate felt like the times where you're outside and lose track of the time of day and somehow don't even have a guess.  While Fox would display the BA at the start of some at bats, at least half the time they didn't.  My friend's wife opened up her smart phone and began calling out the average when each player stepped into the box.

We also had a good time laughing at the Fox fake crowd noise track.  Fox pumped in "boos" when the away pitcher tried to pick off the runner at first and cheers when the home team pitcher did the same.  I laughed at the CGI crowd that was painted into the stands ... but only after a big hit.  At other times, the stands were shown completely empty.  When Frazier hit his home run to right, the ball went through someone's face.  Then, for reasons unknown, Fox held the camera on the painted in crowd for a fairly long time as the "fans" deliriously "celebrated".  After about 10 seconds, you could see that the crowd scene was in a loop.  The faux fans looked like the quasi-real crowd they bus in to dance the pogo in front of the stage at the concert events during Super Bowl half-time.  

In the bottom of the ninth when there were two outs and two strikes on Devers, my friend turned on his iPhone's speakerphone and brought John Sterling into my living room.  My friend said, "We need to hear him say 'Thuuuh Yankees Win!'."

Devers made the last out and John spoke the words, devoid of any passion: "Ballgame over.  The Yankees win." He said this in a completely normal voice. No exclamations, no drawn out "Thuuuuh", no nothing.  He said the words like a court stenographer reading back some fiery bit of testimony in a flat professional voice: "Yes.  He beat me.  With a hammer.  I was distraught.  And scared.  For my life."  

I looked at the iPhone on the coffee table as though seeing the device might help me to better hear what wasn't coming out it.  We were shaken.

Maybe it was all the Sangria we had.  Maybe we were tired.  Maybe John was tired.  But we couldn't figure it out.

I'll turn it over to IIHIIFc's readers: Has Thuuh-less Yankee baseball been going on for a while and I've missed it?  Or did it just appear last night?  

What are we to make of this?

14 comments:

JM said...

Conclusions:

1) Fox Sports, with their anti-Yankees prejudice and macho posturing (the music, the animations...), really blows. Tough to watch.

2) It's hard to get excited over a Yankees win when their opponent is as bad as Boston. Even when our bullpen cough up runs like there's no tomorrow, we still win, because for the Sox there is no tomorrow.

DickAllen said...



I noticed the lack of enthusiasm last week as well. Maybe The Master is under doctors orders to keep it down.

I’ve been saying for years, through gritted teeth, that Boston sucks, but I feel compelled, after watching them sleepwalk through games (especially after giving up an average of ten runs per game between us and the heavy-hitting Rays) that,

BOSTON SUCKS.

Truly. Madly. Big time.

John Baron said...

Hey,I saw Cuomo sitting behind home plate without a mask and not social distancing. Hippocrats!

ranger_lp said...

The Master has a history of no warble at the end of a laugher...too much being made here imho...

Publius said...

More disconcerting was earlier on, when John declared: "I'm missing the game!" Never heard him so flummoxed. I think it went down like this: DJ K'd, check swing. No indication from home plate ump, catcher asked first base ump, swing, strike three. John missed the sequence, his attention wandered and when he came back he was confused wondering where the hell DO went, suspecting a K but not recalling it, and blaming the ump for tough to determine signals. "What happened to LeMahieu?" John asked. "He struck out", answered Suzyn. "So I gather", John all but growled. Uncharacteristically testy. Biden-ian, one is tempted to say. The whole sequence was much more alarming than no win warble after a blowout.

el duque said...

We need to discuss the disappearing WinWarble.

More on this...

HoraceClarke66 said...

John Baron, I think you mean, "Hypocrites," which is not to be confused with that wonderful old Greek doc, Hippocrates of Kos, whose first rule was "Do know harm"—something doctors have widely ignored ever since.

Platoni said...

John Baron said AND meant "Hippocrats". You big city, moran, libbruls can never understand the real America.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Which should be, "Do no harm"! But I do like being "of Kos." That's pretty cool.

Local Bargain Jerk said...


10:14pm 16-August Update: We got the Thuuh tonight.

Phew.

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

LBJ- I heard the thuuuuuuh as well, and immediately passed out in euphoria. I am truly impressed you could drag yourself to a keyboard mere moments after the event transpired! I kinda felt he put a little extra juice in it last night, despite another puppy crushing. Probably did it for “us”.

TheWinWarblist said...

You have thrown down the gauntlet. I have been remiss in my attentions. See you all tonight.

Local Bargain Jerk said...


BJPB:

I turned on the radio and moved into my office for the last out. I felt obliged to record history as it happened. It's not something I could have helped if I'd wanted to.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.