Saturday, May 20, 2023

He's gon-on-on-on-on, he's gone!



"Everybody's high on consolation,

Everybody's tryin' to tell me what is right for me,

...I think I've got it, got the strength to carry on

I need a drink and a quick decision

Now it's up to me, ooh, what will be...

He's gone-on-on-on-on..."


With all apologies to Hall & Oates, I don't need a drink or a quick decision. And it's not up to me. But he is gone-on-on-on-on....And I ain't payin' the devil to replace him.  

As for Hicks himself, here are his last words to the New York Post:

"It is what it is. It's part of the business side of it. Just got to move on to the next chapter. This is a very good baseball team. It kind of seemed like it wasn't working out for me. Obviously with the decision they decided to make, maybe somewhere else might be a little bit better."

Indeed. And here are $30 million to go with you, Aaron—a nice consolation prize.  As for us, we'll always have that play in Minnesota.




 



 



13 comments:

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

Sailors are kissing random women in Times Square.

The Herald printed an extra.

Chuch bells peel throughout the Bronx.

Forever more, it’s DFA-day.

Mildred Lopez said...


I hope someone picks him up. I like Hicks, just not on my team.

BTR999 said...

If he passes through waivers the Yankees will still be responsible for the entire contract minus the the pro-rated minimum, so it would not be a surprise to see him go elsewhere

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

I wouldn’t count on it. He’s the worst player in baseball. How is a proven failure better than any minor league player? He’s played his last game (in USA)

Carl J. Weitz said...

YAY!!!

But what now, Greg Allen? He's no better.
Willie Calhoun?
Kole Calhoun?
Cabrerea?

What a joke. Cashman has no real plan to upgrade LF. If only the Yankees could DFA Cashman.

BTR999 said...

No real reason not to give Florial a shot. He’s never been given an adequate opportunity at this level, just a game here, a game there. He might indeed flop - so what? Or he may provide a somewhat better option than the proven failures we have been parading through LF. Long term the plan is Dominguez, or possibly Jones.

Celerino Sanchez said...

Have they announced an Aaron Hicks Day yet?

The Archangel said...

I thought that a volcano would erupt in the Catskills before Hicks would be DFA'd.

[I would have said that that is proof that there is a God, but the existence of yoga pants has already established that fact. Yes, I am a p-i-g.]

The Hammer of God said...

So I wuz wrong. Thank God. Hicks finally gone ... but in comes ... Greg Allen for a second go-round! That's so Cashman. Unbelievable ... in a very believably bad way. The genius of Cashman, filling roster spots with other team's castoffs, handing out second, third chances while never developing his own players. Well, they brought up Volpe this year. I guess that fills the young player quota for the next fifteen years.

You'd think they'd throw a kid in there, be it Florial or Jasson Dominguez. Instead, we resort to once again filling a roster spot with a career minor league veteran/fringe major leaguer/fourth or fifth outfielder. And this is why Yanks almost never develop any new players.

ranger_lp said...

I'm shocked I tell ya...

Edward said...

Hicks has made over 55million to date, having played for the Yankees across 8 seasons just 651 out of 1194 games, including shortened 2020 season. Ironically, Covid ball was statistically his best year in terms of staying on the field, as he played 54 out of 50 games. Go figure.

Edward said...

Correction: 54 out of 60

BTR999 said...

Brito didn’t look sharp at all in that 1st inning. Our bullpen is going in to get burnt.
You know Severino will be on a strict pitch count tomorrow