Monday, April 1, 2013

Not Bad for Day One



My plan for today worked out pretty well.

I took the subway up to the stadium and entered the bar directly across the street from the outfield entrances, under the subway tracks.

I scheduled my trip to arrive after all the loonies had left for the stadium, and only the hard core drinkers who either didn't like baseball, or couldn't afford tickets, hung out.

Opening day is always festive, and filled with hope and dreams, so I went with shots of Seagram's and drafts of Stella.  I sat on the short corner edge of the rectangular bar, under the TV, so I would not see a game in which Pukilis played, but I could hear Michael Kay telling us how things were going.

As I staggered back to my seat in the 6th, I heard that Nixx was playing third. With that authorization to look at the screen, I saw him make a fine play, and throw a dude out at home, helping Phellps to the best Yankee pitched inning of the game.

I never did find out about Pukilis.  Did he get hurt?  Was he DHing? Was he removed for defensive purposes?

We have such a deep bench, I knew it could be any of the above.

I did have an early roast beef sandwich dripped "au Jus " and onion rings.  I needed to eat hearty because I was trying to give CC some support, which his pitching and teammates failed to do.  I always try to eat things that remind me of our pitcher.

Joba was Joba.  We have a lot to look forward with him.  He showed no after effects of his injuries from the trampoline, or from anything else.  He showed no effects of any kind.

Needless to say, the mood in the bar worsened as the game concluded and fans poured back in.  Assholes in red socks crap were howling.  I poured beer on the back of some guys' Pedroia jersey on my way out.  It was shoulder to shoulder, so no one noticed.

Don"t they know they suck?  I mean red socks fans.  In general.

The Yanks just have to hold the fort a little longer and our re-enforcements will arrive.

We are doing fine.  I like our chances this year.

2 comments:

el duque said...

For whatever it's worth, Youkilis struck out in the seventh inning with the tying runs on base, when the game still mattered.

But so did Robbie.

Dustin Pedroia said...

Hey! YOU were the guy that poured beer on me? That settles it. I'm staying in the clubhouse. I can't even go across the street without some Yankee fan dumpin' suds on me, and then bragging about it on his blog! Where do you live, "Alphonso"?