Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

After today's trade, Yankees could have two corner outfielders named Aaron next year

The Yankee plan is taking shape: Acquire former super-prospects, and give them new incarnations.

They made two moves today.

1. They freed Jose Pirela - a guy they never coveted, because all he ever did was hit at every level of the minors - for a 20-year-old RH bullpen lug nut whose name I don't remember, but it will surely be filed with the Rumbelows and Goodys of the Scrantonian landscape. Pirela went to San Diego, which is becoming one of our established minor trade partners.

2. They they traded home-grown John Ryan Murphy to Minnesota for switch-hitting OF Aaron Hicks, another former super-prospect (see Dustin Ackley) who is 26 and in a crossroads of his career.

Here's Hicks' profile. Read for yourself.

Eleven home runs? Greg Bird hit 11 (in about half the plate appearances as Hicks) and the Yankiverse wants to enshrine him in Monument Park. Hicks is 6'2", so he'll look good coming off the bus. He was once the 14th player picked in the MLB draft, one of the jewels who was going to lead the Twins out of St. Paul. But his numbers have improved each year. And last season, he hit .307 from the right side - (not so good as a lefty) - which means he could keep us from having to give Chris Young a three-year deal. If he's any good, and if Aaron Judge is any good - we could have the first two-Aaron outfields since Hank and Tommie, back around 1962, with the Milwaukee Braves. Seems like yesterday.

As for Murphy - the only Yankee known with a middle name (usually Presidential assassin material) - I hate to see him go. He's only 24, and he's done everything the Yankees ever asked. He'll be the Twins catcher for years, and don't be surprised when he haunts us, or even turns out to be better than Brian McCann's (especially if McCann keeps trying to drive balls through over-shifts.)

My favorite Murphy moment came in the locker room celebration after the Yankees clinched the Wild Card birth, and somebody asked him what he was thinking about, and he replied, "Drinking." Which summed it up, although I've thought of CC Sabathia a few times and winced. (By the way, Alphonso is right; this crapola about Sabathia's "courage" in going into rehab overlooks the personal responsibility he failed to take, drinking himself into the tank. More on that is coming. And it should be paint-peeling with indignation.) 

One final thought: Looks as though Gary Sanchez - busting fences in Arizona - has hit himself onto the Yankees, rather than hitting himself out of New York. Glad to see it.

Now... let's figure how to get Sanchez more often in the lineup as a DH. Any suggestions, Mr. A-Rod?

11 comments:

KD said...

I will miss JRM, although this deal might be a good one. My favorite memory of him was at Mo's final game in pinstripes, standing at the mound with Andy and Jeter. such a moment.

Bernie said...

Hicks's numbers are abysmal. Cashman's genius strategy is to make other teams' failures the Yankees' failures. What a moron.











Leinstery said...

But Hicks' batting average is increasing at an exponential rate. I estimate he'll hit over .400 next year. What a steal.

Anonymous said...

DID WE REALLY HAVE TO GIVE UP 24 YEAR OLD, HOME GROWN MURPHY JUST TO MAKE SURE WE DIDN'T HAVE TO GIVE CHRIS YOUNG MORE MONEY???...THIS IS WHY WE GOT HICKS....JUST LET YOUNG GO!!!...AND THE HELL WITH HICKS!...WE DON'T NEED EITHER ONE!!!!!..TOO LATE NOW.....WANT A RIGHT HANDED HITTING OUTFIELDER?....USE AARON JUDGE!!!!!.....FORCE FEED HIM, BUT I AM SURE HE WILL BE FINE IF USED PRIMARILY AGAINST LEFTIES, HE HITS THEM WELL!...I DO LIKE THE FACT THAT IT LOOKS LIKE SOMEHOW SANCHEZ MAY MAKE THE BIG CLUB, BUT LETS NOT GET CRAZY, THIS IS CASHMAN AND THE YANKEES WE'RE TALKING ABOUT...I SMELL GOOD OL' AUSTIN ROMINE BEING THE NUMBER 2 CATCHER AGAIN!...DAMMIT!...WE JUST GOT RID POSSIBLY THE BEST BACKUP CATCHER IN BASEBALL......I KEEP WANTING TO BE WRONG...I KEEP WANTING CASHMAN TO MAKE ME EAT MY WORDS...I KEEP HOPING HE TURNS INTO THIS "GENIUS" THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE HIM PEGGED AS......PLEASE, MAKE ME LOOK DOPEY CASHMAN, PLEASE!...I WANNA BE WRONG!!!!..IT JUST NEVER HAPPENS!!!!!

pepitone said...

Johnny, we hardly knew ye.

JM said...

This team really disgusts me. I can't stand the manager. The players are strangers. The front office is idiotic.

Let's go Mets. They even have a better ballpark, though it's going to take an effort to get used to the beards.

ceeja said...

I'm from Minnesota. I know Aaron Hicks. I've watched him (try to) hit for the past three years. Aaron Hicks is very familiar to me. Mr. Cashman, Hicks is no hitter. He can run and he is a terrific fielder and every once in a while he'll make good contact on a ground ball to the short stop. Think Stephen Drew without the power. If you hated Gardy in the second half of the season -- that's Hicks at his best.

I'm happy for Murphy. He's a very, very good defensive catcher and I think he hits like Cervelli if he gets a chance to play.

Yanks could have gotten more for Murphy.

Alphonso said...

I saw a photo of Hicks and he looks fat. Remember Jonathan Hicks…Giants (NFL ) number one pick a few years back?

Total bust.

So I am down on this trade because his name is bad. The Giants also had a wide receiver named Hicks….good for one year. Then, bust.

Also, ceeja's comment , in combination with the normal bungling of all Cashman deals, is worrisome.

We should/could have gotten more.

Cashman is trying to get other people's top draft picks from year's ago….knowing that Yankee top picks are all now insurance salesmen….so he'll look better when the history books are written.

One thin for sure; this deal is meaningless. Unless Sanchez beats out the lame, lumpy, totally average McCann.

Anonymous said...

I WAS JUST WATCHING MLB NETWORK, AND AUSTIN ROMINE's NAME POPPED UP AS A YANKEE CATCHER AGAIN!.... DO I KNOW THIS TEAM'S SHIT OR WHAT????.... GOD DAMMIT!!!!!

joe de pastry said...

John M-
Traitor!!!
Never say Let's Go ____!
If you feel compelled to leave the flock because of this trade, root for the Twins.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...

I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.