Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Yanks Lose Out on Pineda Trade

I started drinking mimosa's early at some dockside joint to ready myself for Cubs/Dodgers, game one of the NL championship series.

The problem is that the offer of breakfast included unlimited mimosas.  As in, all you can drink until the bell rings for lunch.

The Cubs game comes on early out here and, by then, I had switched to a local lager.

To make a long story short, I rallied when the Cubs lost the 3-1 lead in the 8th ( our trade bait Chapman finally gave up a hit ), and Cubs fans faces froze with, " the look."  Granted, I too was reeling.

MUCH TO MY AMAZEMENT, the Cubs bring up Montero to pinch hit in the bottom half of the 8th, with two down and the bases loaded. On an 0-2 count, he cranks one into the right field seats for a grand slam, and blows the game open.

Now, there can be no doubt.

With the inconsistent, losing season Pineda recorded, we definitely got the short end of the Montero trade.  A grand slam in a key playoff game in front of the home crowd?

Wow.

6 comments:

el duque said...

That damn Montero... he must on the ice cream sandwiches again.

Anonymous said...

Wait a sec - - is Miguel Montero the same person as Jose Montero?? Am I mis-remembering, or what?? I didn't have the benefit of all Fonzie's beverages, after all, so please jog my memory on this. LB

el duque said...

Either Malibu Fonz has been scrambling the wrong eggs for the breakfast buffet, or he's trying to make sure we're listening. Frankly, I think he's trying to be Trump. California will do that to you.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA..... ALPHONSO IS JUST F@CKING WITH US....LOL....ALTHOUGH, WITH ONLY 6 WINS IN OVER 175 INNINGS FOR PINEDA, ALPHONSO STILL MAY BE RIGHT ON THIS DEAL...... THE OTHER MONTERO IS IN TRIPLE A , BUT STILL YOUNG AND RAKING....AT THIS POINT, PINEDA IS ACTUALLY COSTING US GAMES.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for confirming what I thought, all-caps anonymous, and Duquito! Yes, Fonz may still prove to be correct, re: the Montero/Pineda deal - - perhaps we should trade Big Mikey for some other reclamation-project (although his K/9 still looks scary, he can't seems to stand adversity....one bad pitch leads to another - - then another). He goes off the rails, just like the Rumpster. LB

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.