Thursday, September 6, 2018

The 18 Top Truths About .500 Teams


1.  They don't have extensive winning streaks.

2.  If they win a big game, and get everyone excited, then they promptly lose a clunker.

3.  They don't have a reliable stopper.

4.  They don't hit in clutch situations (failing consistently with the bases loaded, for example).

5.  On offense,  their bread and butter are solo HRs.

6.  They have over-rated stars who, predictably, fail in the big moments.

7.  They have a manager with no baseball courage, insight or decisiveness.

8.  They cannot adhere to a consistent strategy for player development or team building.

9.  They will never ...never...attempt, or succeed..... in hitting against a shift.  It is considered unmanly.

10.  The bunt does not exist  Nor does the concept of moving a runner into scoring position.

11.  Walks are disdained.

12.  They trade potential players for " used to be good" players and castoffs.

13.  Spending limits and net profits drive the train.

14.  Secrecy and deception reign.

15.  Bad luck is rampant.

16.  Cliches don't work ( " Next man up "), and comeback victories never happen as the season extends.

17.  Pitching staff is neglected.  Then overworked.

18.  Journeyman pitchers and rookie pitchers shut them down with ease.

Don't expect more from this team.


7 comments:

HoraceClarke66 said...

Hear, hear, Alphonso.

I would only add a couple:

—They never, ever steal a base or even start a runner.

—They blame as many losses as they can on the fielding mistakes of rookies and young players, even as none of the veterans on the team can hit or pitch.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget

-- They have injuries to key players and fail to provide adequate backups.

-- They fail to play 100% against alleged "inferior opponents" and assume that they will win because they are them.

-- They rest their best players because "it's their turn' with no regard to the importance of a given game or hot bat.

Doug K.



Alphonso said...

All excellent points. I expect the list can extend to 50 items if we pay attention.

Anonymous said...

ALL I KNOW IS I'M HAPPY THERE WAS NO GAME TODAY...

I CAN'T STAND THE LOSING ANYMORE.

ranger_lp said...

Responding to #12...

When they had the advertising on the radio for the 2015 Yankees, Paul Olden doing the voice-over of course, didn't it go something like this...

"The 2015 New York Yankees! Yesterday's all-stars, today's has-beens"!

JM said...

Yeah, but aside from that...

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.