Saturday, October 31, 2020

2020 has been an evil beast (a personal reflection)

Two weeks ago, my mother died at 96. Great life, great gal. Lived in the house she was born in right until the end, shouting at the TV while watching the Yankees just a few days before she went.

Over the past 12 months, I've lost my closest cousin (cancer), my best friend (Covid), another friend and former co-worker (heart attack), the husband of another very close cousin (more cancer), and now my mom. That's the past 12 months. Jesus Christ. 

On top of that, much less importantly, I officially became a senior citizen, recently had a partial knee replacement, put on a lot of weight (some of which has mercifully departed), the Yankees continued losing in the playoffs, and...oh, shit, I can't even remember all the minor stuff.

Out of all the minor complaints, though, it's the Yankees that really gall me. Maybe because baseball is something that really doesn't matter, except in how it can help you bear up under all the things that do matter, watching a long home run or well-placed line drive or killer split-finger fastball. And, best of all, seeing the game played well by your team, on a championship level. 

But our team, the Yankees, can't figure out how to do that. Tampa has figured it out with a lot less money. The Dodgers have figured it out, with as much or more money. The Astros, cheating aside, had it figured out, and they're in Texas. But the Yankees? The greatest sports franchise in history? They can't figure it out. One championship in 20 years. The same mistakes, the same tunnel vision, the same lousy long-term deals. The same inferior pitching rotation, though the individuals change.

2021 has to be better than 2020. Doesn't it? 

When I would say, "Well, things can't get any worse," my late best friend would say, "Sure they can."

I hope they don't this time. Just for a change of pace.

12 comments:

Alphonso said...

We wish you a Yankee championship, JM.

Multiple condolences.

I don't know what else to say except this;

I am a comedian in Hollywood. I do stand-up ( when there were clubs people went to ), while trying to worm my way onto a role in " The Kaminski Method." ( no success ).

I was recently asked to do a virtual comedy performance, with focus on what I'm feeling and experiencing in 2020.

My theme for the night was " shark attacks." My new approach to humor.

It has been the worst year of all time.

And you have had it with both barrels. The most difficult part, is "you have no choice but to carry on. " The clock keeps ticking. The garage beckons. The world just keeps spinning.

Live as well and happy as you can. Do it for them. In their honor and in their memory.

It is what they want for you.

Remember that. It helps. I know.

Anonymous said...

JM,

Dude...

Alphonso said it beautifully. Can't think of what to add.

Except this, " Maybe because baseball is something that really doesn't matter, except in how it can help you bear up under all the things that do matter."

I have never seen that fundamental truth expressed so well.

Again... dude.

Doug K.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Sincere condolences.

I hope your friend is wrong, too.

Scottish Yankee fan said...

So very sorry for all your losses JM
Sending good thoughts to you from the other side of the Atlantic ocean

HoraceClarke66 said...

Very sorry to hear that, JM.

And yeah, what a year. Somebody was saying about changing the clocks tonight: Getting an extra hour in 2020 is like getting a bonus track on a Yoko Ono album.

13bit said...

Sending love, JM. 2020 has been a bear.

Local Bargain Jerk said...


JM:

My sincere condolences for your losses.

I saw a good meme today that made me laugh: "Tonight we get to set our clocks back for one more hour of this shit."

Apart from that, everyone else here is right. There's nothing more to add to Alphonso's and others' words. In fact, you're the one who said it best:

     baseball is something that really doesn't matter, except in how it can help you bear up
     under all the things that do matter, watching a long home run or well-placed line drive or
     killer split-finger fastball. And, best of all, seeing the game played well by your team,
     on a championship level.


Man, I couldn't agree more. Here's to seeing it all once again in our future. Please be at peace until then.

JM said...

Thank you all. Your words mean a lot.

And Alphonso, I really like the Kaminsky Method. But they should've given you the part.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Someone else had a line: getting an extra hour on 2020 is like getting a bonus track on a Yoko Ono album.

Donna said...

Hello everyone.  I want to share my amazing experience with the great spell caster Dr Mark my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead him filling for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about Dr Mark and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted Dr Mark and he told me not to worry that after 24 hours he will cancel the divorce and my husband will be back to me after I did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Dr Mark you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you. contact Dr Mark through his email address on: blessedlovetemple@gmail.com

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever