Thursday, October 15, 2020

Who is dealing the cheese? This year's winner, that's who.

 From the desk of HoraceClarke66...

One of MLB’s national shills got so carried away with his chance to parrot the party line the other night that he told us that, far from being in any way illegitimate, this year’s champion of baseball will have gone through more than any other champion ever has, and would be all the more deserving.

 

I honestly can’t remember which one, if it was Joe Buck or maybe Jeff Francoeur, who actually lauded the Astros for surviving “all they’ve been through this year.”

 

But in any case, it’s horsefeathers.

 

This year’s winner will be a cheese champ, no matter who it is. That would have been true for your New York Yankees—much as I still would have relished it. Hey I love cheese—just as it will be true if it’s the Los Angeles Dodgers, probably the best team-in-baseball-without-cheating over the last four seasons.

 

It will be especially true for the Tampa Bay Rays. Much as I despise the sort of baseball the Rays play, I have to admit they do it very well. But c’mon.

 

Without Covid, they would not be playing in this empty, pleasant, utterly symmetrical ballpark—save for the bizarre, rightfield overhang that penalized the tallest man on the field in a deciding game (No, I am not over that. And I never will be.). 

 

Without this peculiar playoff format, the Rays would not be playing without off-days—a schedule that favors Tampa Bay with its deep bullpen above all, while diminishing other teams’ strong starting staffs. They certainly would not be playing a team with a losing record in the ALCS.

 

But all that aside, you can’t be a real champ without the long season, the toughest test in sports. 

 

It’s bad enough how much the importance of the regular season has been diluted for years now. But 60 games?

 

Tampa Bay sure looks like the class of the American League. But we can’t know that.

 

Maybe that great pen full of lively young arms would have propelled them to the ALCS in any case. Or maybe they would’ve broken down. Maybe one of the blood tests for their miraculous new phenom, Arozarena, would’ve come back positive. Maybe the league would’ve figured out the mouthy Mr. Brosseau.

 

Maybe not. But we’ll never know. Cheese all the way.

7 comments:

TheWinWarblist said...

Go Rays.




Fuck you Altuve.

Leinstery said...

Are the Yankees trying to trade everybody because Hal is on food stamps again or because they're desperately trying to become the New York Rays?

......Since 56 said...

HC66,
With all due respect, Judge colliding with the overhang in right field happened in the 5th game ....it wasn’t like he had never been out there before. 5 games and who knows how much practice time should be enough time to adjust to a new park. I only saw one replay, and I don’t think he would have gotten to it anyway...can’t take anything away from his defensive play in general, but he misplayed that one.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Yes, he should have know about it. But even if a player consciously knows about an impediment, it's a far different thing from being in a park where you play 9-10 times a year. It's still all the more difficult to keep your eye on the ball and know precisely where your feet are in relation to that ridiculous overhang. What IS that thing doing out there, anyway? They're lucky nobody's broke his neck on it.

I thought he had a chance—maybe you're right, and he didn't. But in any case, when you're the Tampa Bay Rays, getting to play in an empty, neutral stadium is an advantage.

......Since 56 said...

Don’t want to belabor the point, but many parks have “unique” features... the Pesky Pole,the hedges at Wrigley, the domed stadiums with the impediments with the roof, sun fields etc. I agree the overhang is ridiculous, as is playing in empty, silent stadiums, but neither should have been a surprise, or an excuse for losing such a critical game.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever