Friday, November 6, 2020

Congrats to DJ LeMahieu. So... should the Yankees blow him away with an 8-year deal?

When DJ LeMahieu yesterday won the Silver Slugger award, the first question was simple: What position? Fact is, he could have won it at 3B or 1B. (He took 2B.) Frankly, he could have won as DH. 

Yeesh, the dude hit .364! He was, by far, the Yankee MVP. Prorated to a full season, his 10 HRs would equal about 28. He is a building block, a clubhouse leader, a clutch hitter, a potential Yank captain and the best leadoff man in baseball. 

So... how much money, and for how long, will it cost to keep him? When the bidding commences, how far into the 2020 decade should the Death Star go? 

Three years? That's easy. Five? Hmm. At the end, he'll be 37. Eight? Excuse me, I'm sweating; his contract will end with Giancarlo Stanton's. Ten? Ouch. That's Robbie Cano territory. As George C. Scott noted in Hardcore, "TURN IT OFFFFFFFF!"

So... how far? 

Keep in mind that LeMahieu, at 32, is at his career erection. Great as he is, it's hard to see him hitting .364 again. (Philosophical question: If 2020 were a full season, could he have kept it up?) He had one hell of a year. Was this his watermark?

So... how far, and how long?

Listen, the auction gavel will soon bang. And don't get me wrong: We shall not accept little-man poormouthing from Hal "Food Stamps" Steinbrenner, who sits atop the most well-greased money-machine in American pro sports. But in Hal's gold-plated world, the Yankees must decide where to appropriate their financial advantage. They already have too many hitters. Last year, Miguel Andujar barely poked his head above the fast-food stretches of Clark's Summit. Next year, they may need to move Gleyber Torres back to 2B.

So... if they have, say, $25 M a year in dip money, should Hal re-sign LeMahieu or sign a pitcher? Just asking. Because the 2020 Yankees were an airplane with seven propellers and one wing. At various points of the season, we had proven MLB hitters - Miggy and Clint Frazier - stashed in Pennsylvania, while our rotation looked like the cast of Schitt's Creek. We won the wild card. Whoopee. 

If this team is going to win a world series, it needs another stud pitcher. Brian Cashman's biggest failing has been in trading for such a beast.

So... how far with LeMahieu? It's the prime question facing the franchise this winter. Every other decision hangs in the balance. 

So... how much, and how far? 

8 comments:

JM said...

Can LaMahieu pitch? Has he ever tried? Have the Yankees given him a look?

Just a thought.

Alphonso said...

I think it should be a 20 year deal.

And let's commit to play him as a starter every day.

Part of the deal...you play 162 games when you are 45 or the contract reverts to $10 a day and food money.

Alphonso said...

Seriously? Three years max.

Otherwise, let him go.

It doesn't matter. We have Giancarlo who, praise Jesus, decided to "opt-in" to his contract with the Yankees. I wonder how many dinners at the Four Seasons it took Hal to pull this off?

What a leader? What ownership?

The Yankees can play tough with any player on the roster. We have Giancarlo.

smurfy said...

I say 5 years for a hunnert millun. Thet should do. Play pertygood, betcha.

HoraceClarke66 said...

I think they should look at the market.

Everybody in MLB is crying poor, saying they lost a hundred zillion dollars. Well, let's find out how sincere they are.

Offer D.J., say, two years at nice money, tell him, we really respect you, we love you, but you understand with all the uncertainty, right? Just don't sign anywhere without coming back to us first.

Then, let's see.

If others swoop in, I say, yeah, give him up to that 5 years, $100 mill that smurfy says. Beyond that...

Donna said...

Hello everyone.  I want to share my amazing experience with the great spell caster Dr Mark my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead him filling for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about Dr Mark and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted Dr Mark and he told me not to worry that after 24 hours he will cancel the divorce and my husband will be back to me after I did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Dr Mark you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you. contact Dr Mark through his email address on: blessedlovetemple@gmail.com

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever