Sunday, November 15, 2020

You Got To Want To

Reading Duque's thoughts on Derek Jeter this AM reminded me about something...   

Several years ago I learned a lesson that, if explained to me as a young man, would have made a major difference in my life. The circumstances don't matter but the lesson was this, "Ya gotta want to."

Essentially, there are things that we use as excuses, in this case, my own sloppy handwriting as a reason not to perform certain tasks. I was informed that I totally had the skills to make clean lines (I did) it was that I didn't want to. (I didn't). From that day on my handwriting became legible.

Why do I bring this up?  Because Derek Jeter is 100% about winning. He wants to. He cares. It is how he measures himself. It doesn't surprise me that the Marlins, under his care, are improving, will continue to improve, and will most likely out perform the NY Yankees into the future.

He wants to. Hal does not. I mean, it's OK if the Yankees get better. From a business standpoint he knows that there is a standard somewhere that he can't fall below.  Because he wants to make money with the Yankees.  He WANTS that. But championships? Excellence? Not that important. That's going to be happenstance, the law of averages.

So will the Yankees do something? Absolutely! Will it improve the team? Well, right now the team has been gutted. We have one great pitcher and a bunch of question marks. We just lost our best player in DJ.  So yes, the team will be improved upon. Money will be spent.  Enough to give them a better than Wild Card shot at the World Series?  Not by design. It's not necessary to get what Hal wants.

Oh, you know who else WANTS to win? Steve Cohen.  Forget the Yankee/Red Sox rivalry. The best one in sports is about to become Marlins/Mets.


5 comments:

TheWinWarblist said...

One must want to, yes.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Nice analysis, Doug. And again, I think there could be nothing better when it comes to improving the Yankees.

All Cashman thinks of is in terms of preserving his job and reputation. Hence his decision to do a book-length victory in Derek Jeter's face when he "stole" Stanton from the Marlins.

The book was designed as a PR triumph for Cashman—as well as further securing the goodwill of a beat writer by giving him access, getting him a book contract, etc.

Brain decided he was going to take down Derek Jeter, humiliate him and destroy his reputation, as a way of building up his own. He would have been better off thinking less about himself and more about what he was committing his team to.

13bit said...

Cashman‘s finish line every year is “securing a playoff berth.”

He seems to think that’s good enough.

He is a moron he does not know baseball. His boss, Hal, does not care at all. We are in for decades of mediocrity. Get used to it, fellow sufferers.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever